Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-10-2007 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber

a suggestion for the next monthly competion

hi

i think a good subject for the next competition should be modeling your favourite 80's and 90's cartoon heroes, but with a modern twist,

so please mike if you read this could you maybe make it one of the next competitions

# 2 16-10-2007 , 12:09 AM
What about an animation one !!!

# 3 16-10-2007 , 12:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Laurie, I think we could do with a few animation tutorials before most people would be interesting in an animation challenge.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 16-10-2007 , 12:25 AM
The Maya Mountain
We've had several animation challenges and they always seem to end with just 1 or 2 finished entries, so I tend to not do them very often.

thanks for the idea, jali!

If anyone else has ideas, feel free to let me know. We can use this thread as a good jumping on point.

# 5 16-10-2007 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber
Sounds good to me.

I'd like a challenge that let's you make any scifi character.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 6 16-10-2007 , 02:11 AM
I won't be participating in the next challenge but here's a couple of ideas.

1. "Futuristic Transportation". Could be any type of futuristic transportation but an original concept.

2. "Explosion". Create an explosion of some sort.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 16-10-2007 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
I like the idea of this thread - not to take anything from mikes ideas as they always seem to be great - but seeing what the others want to do is also very cool.

jali - your idea would have been really cool 5 years ago but most 80/90 cartoons have already been redone (thundercats, transformers ,heman ,gijoe ,tmnt - even bravestar is being remade) all really well done as well.

i think a caricature of a famous person would make a great challenage which should bring out some really cool ideas, and character based challenges seem to do well.

other ideas include -

design a new main hero/villein toy for a new toy-line (a bit like jali idea with a twist) with all accessory's and packaging

build the coolest movie vehicle

build a character from a fairy tail in a new and unique way, not the typical storybook look.

# 8 16-10-2007 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber
How about, even if it was for a short one month thing, a lighting challenge.
Everyone gets a choice of a few scenes and they have to try to realistically light it. But only using MR or the Software renderer so it makes it even more challenging. I reckon it'd be a fun one to try.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 9 16-10-2007 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by tweetytunes
I like the idea of this thread - not to take anything from mikes ideas as they always seem to be great - but seeing what the others want to do is also very cool.

jali - your idea would have been really cool 5 years ago but most 80/90 cartoons have already been redone (thundercats, transformers ,heman ,gijoe ,tmnt - even bravestar is being remade) all really well done as well.

i think a caricature of a famous person would make a great challenage which should bring out some really cool ideas, and character based challenges seem to do well.

other ideas include -

design a new main hero/villein toy for a new toy-line (a bit like jali idea with a twist) with all accessory's and packaging

build the coolest movie vehicle

build a character from a fairy tail in a new and unique way, not the typical storybook look.

yeah i think a caricature of a famous person living or dead would be a cool idea,

p.s why dont they remake the galaxy rangers that was an awsome cartoon

# 10 16-10-2007 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
galaxy rangers - never heard of them before - but they look like a series a lot like bravestar

# 11 16-10-2007 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by tweetytunes
galaxy rangers - never heard of them before - but they look like a series a lot like bravestar

galaxy rangers was a cartoon that bagan in the mid 80's, it was about these four rangers who had to prtect and serve the law in space. they also had these awsome powers,

i miss those cartoons so much, those 80's cartoons wipe the floor with the crap they show in this day and age,

the 80's cartoon's a watched while growing up taught kids about doing the right thing, the characters where inspirational, in that the characters were physically fit, making kids want to be just like that when the were all grown up.

cartoon these days hold no such value, i mean they pump out things like spunge bob which teadches kids to act stupid.

heres the intro for the galaxy rangers,
https://youtube.com/watch?v=HMpsAmWbSJg

# 12 16-10-2007 , 12:48 PM
Could do with some animation training videos on this site then user added image!!!!!

# 13 16-10-2007 , 11:53 PM
i like the ideas so far, but i think we should redo the challenge from awhile ago. the first one i ever did.

Redesign a classic video game character and make him in 3D. that was a great challenge.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 14 17-10-2007 , 07:22 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Joopson
i like the ideas so far, but i think we should redo the challenge from awhile ago. the first one i ever did.

Redesign a classic video game character and make him in 3D. that was a great challenge.

yeah i wanted to participate in that one, but my skills were lacking so i dicided to give it a miss i wish there was another one like it if there was i'd be over it like like a fat lady at a buffet'. thats why i suggested doing the cartoon thing. not every single 80's cartoon has been remade,

Last edited by jali; 17-10-2007 at 07:26 PM.
# 15 17-10-2007 , 09:57 PM
Nice idea for a thread! some good ideas too...
I have an idea of my own:
Make an outer-space alien community. I have a picture in my head of some classic aliens (green big head, big black eyes etc) playing board-games on a table on the surface of Mars user added image.
I also like the futuristic transport idea, and I have a few ideas for it. Unfortunately I'm to much of a noob in Maya to participate in any competition, but I hope I won't be soon...
soon... user added image
Benny