Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 196 21-08-2011 , 11:51 AM
Ok here is the Hummer, got 2 versions one for cargo and the other is the more typical deal. The dirt can be taken down in ps as all the grub is on separate laters. Still need to get some texture on the rear lights which I will do later today but is pretty much done now.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 197 21-08-2011 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
nice texturing Leon

edit: is it me, or do those beige panels around the small windows on the sides look noticeably devoid of textures?

# 198 21-08-2011 , 01:15 PM
Cheers Ben, yep you are correct, they are cloth covers and I need to add textures to them also. It is pretty likely that they will be removed for any animation as they do not have them when at war and are there more for show. Will upload a couple of renders when I get them and the rear lights finished up and have this in a scene of sorts.

# 199 22-08-2011 , 10:21 PM
Bring on the bedsheets and RPGs. If I don't see Zayed ****ing up a Blackhawk next to the Jebel I am gonna be pissed....

P.S. FoodReviewer's top recommended item of the week to sample is that of weed brownies.

I typed this while listening to "The Titanic Theme" to remember all those wonderful times

Today was a "8"

# 200 23-08-2011 , 05:42 PM
Haha nice C,

Made some progress on the C-130 today. I still have a lot of tweaking to do and a lot more details and decals to add but think the base texture for this is starting to take shape.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 201 24-08-2011 , 01:18 AM
Labyk,

The C-130 looks dope. I still need to send you the Usernames and PW's to our sites so you can check out some of those ZBrush brushes. Will def help with the rivets. Gonna have the master built within the next two weeks given I just ramped up my CC again and have been leveraging purchases to up my Credit score.

Will throw this shizz into a scene and get the ball rolling once I get my hands onto the new C4D. Will now pipe from Arena to MB to C4D and then just render in their new renderer off the 4 Xeon's.

Maybe Jay would be up for allowing me to open simplyC4D.com.

Just kidding Jay, but honestly a site for C4D is coming soon to help with the push on the program....

best,

Collin Bishop

P.S. You need to edit something together with "It's Raining Men"

# 202 05-09-2011 , 11:36 AM
Ok think this is nearly done at last. Will next try and get the chinook looking better as it has a lot of technical issues + the textures could be a lot better. Then the M-4 and environment stuff.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Last edited by leonlabyk; 05-09-2011 at 11:39 AM.
# 203 05-09-2011 , 12:03 PM
Great community
Amazing work mate! can I ask you what did you use to unwrap it ? Was it Headus ?

# 204 05-09-2011 , 02:13 PM
Cheers Creck,

I use headus for some things but I find it works best for organic shapes as it tends to struggle with hard surface objects in my experience. I personally find roadkill to be really useful and use it for almost all hard surface work and adjust the uvs after as and where needed.

anything you need should be found here should you wish to try it out.
https://www.pullin-shapes.co.uk/page8.htm

Also don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or problems as I will try and assist should you need.

# 205 07-09-2011 , 10:58 PM
Lifetime Member
Outstanding work Leon....very nice indeed man...LOL..I have a lot of work to do to get my Spitfire up to this calibre of work...sigh.

cheers Bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 206 08-09-2011 , 01:56 AM
Cheers Bullet,

Am currently sorting the chinook out and hope to have it finished by the end of next week. Is a linked turntable of the C-130 below although I have made some changes to some of the interior textures since. One of the problem areas was the far wall as you travel down the interior, just looks rushed.

Untitled on Vimeo

# 207 08-09-2011 , 08:12 PM

Oh Labyk. Not as bad as the very first one I did

So I decided to post this on here since the last bust I did Leon told me looked like crap. You guys tell me where any problems you see are. Not any tri's or NGons. Just good ole' quads. My goal is to throw it into FR and apply a C3D file to it. This is just the base. No tweaking, no sculpting. Took me about 3 hours off and on. BTW I don't actually model in Maya but in C4D. It's all the same in my book. Hope to get some good comments back. Of course I could never steal Leon's thunder given what I know is from him sitting next to me...

Attached Thumbnails
# 208 08-09-2011 , 08:29 PM
The thin red line
The topology not bad but the proportions are out,neck to thin, eyes need to be closer together nostrols not defind and for this stage to meny polys, Leon what are you teaching him.......LOL..........dave

# 209 08-09-2011 , 09:04 PM
the wire looks much better and is really good for a 1st proper attempt matey. I would work on the proportions a bit more though, try getting some ref shots off the net and roughly base it on someone. Don't go for a full on likeness, just try to improve on the proportions as they are looking a bit awkward to me. Did a real rough in photoshop to show what I mean, I would just take the base into zbrush with some ref images though.

Only other area for improvement is the wireframe. You have your edges going straight back to the ears and down from the head to chin, is all a bit like a grid and very uniform. Is kinda tricky to explain but I think heads look better when the edges follow the skull shape. This is due to you allowing the shape of the underlying tissue and bone structure to control the edge flow. I have emailed you the model I did although it is far from perfect. If you look at it from the side though you can see the circular shape flowing around the head, if you look at yours from the side you will notice the line just goes straight down. Is tricky and is an area I still need to improve on as this is where you can really make or break the model in my opinion. If you get things right at this stage the mesh will look great even at low poly counts. Uploaded a wire of that guys luc Begin model as it is really pro and is more what I need to be aiming for when it comes to the general edge flow.

Keep it up though matey and is really bloody good for a 1st attempt and I cannot see you having any problems with it.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by leonlabyk; 08-09-2011 at 09:49 PM.
# 210 08-09-2011 , 09:25 PM
yo Dave
haha we worked together for the past 14 months in the middle earth and have taught each other a fair bit. I taught to model in quads and to avoid booleans. Collin taught me I need to embrace change more, especially zspheres and re topo though as he Kicked my ass in every speed modeling comp. I would get together a rough base mesh in 30 mins while he would have a sculpt out of zbrush done using zspheres that was a million miles better than what I had. My only attempt to try and hold face would be to point out some poles in awkward areas but I had always been thrashed. Plus at the end of the day it is only gonna take 30 mins to retopo the model and have it finished so I can see the benefit and why so many use this method. One time I lost so badly after making a manatee I took it home and finalized the model in maya, rigged and textured it and animated it into a live shot. Wasted about 8 hours but was pretty hilarious.

Last edited by leonlabyk; 08-09-2011 at 09:42 PM.