Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-11-2003 , 09:55 PM

per particle dynamics

I'm trying to set up a partcile system for a puffy dandelion being blown in the wind. Mostly I've got it working except all of the particles fly off simultaneously. What I'd like to do is have them fly off one by one. I tried to write an expression to that effect, but I can't figure out the command to say "make this particle dynamic". Instead it makes all of them dynamic at once.

This is what I've got.

if (particleShape2.particleId <= (frame/2))
{
particleShape2.dynamicsWeight = 0;
}
else
{
particleShape2.dynamicsWeight = 1;
}

I also tried making a new expression ("dynPP"), but I couldn't figure out how to assign it to individual particles.

Any thoughts?

user added image

# 2 06-11-2003 , 04:48 AM
Well, Danny might have a better mel-way of doing that, but:

Question, is yor system of "seeds" resting on a sphere or other type of solid geometry?

If so, you could try using per-particle GOAL weights by animating a goal-weight ramp on the sphere, thus the "seeds" would blow away only when a pre-determined goal-weight/ramp value reaches them.

Lemme know if that made no senseuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 06-11-2003 , 05:00 AM
Itr made some sense in theory, but I have no idea how to set something like that up. Never used goals. Wouldn't the particle then go to the goal? I don't want that. I want each particle to fly off in it's own direction. Could I do that with your idea?

# 4 06-11-2003 , 03:37 PM
Sure!

You would just set the initial start of the weight-map total value to be the value at which the seeds are attracted (100% goal).

Then just animate that map to vary away from that value so the seeds fall off in a controllable wave or random depending on your mapuser added image

Understand?

If not, lemme knowuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 06-11-2003 , 04:34 PM
No. So confused.

I guess I need to start from scratch learning about goals.

# 6 07-11-2003 , 07:17 PM
Rage,

I've been trying to figure this one out, but to no luck. Any chance you can walk me through it?