Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-06-2004 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber

how are "spooky" scenes set?

Yes, Basically I want to make a " Spooky" ISH scene, and the only thing I know about lights - Is to use a blue colour.
I wil show you what i have so far, but may not stay same - Also - how do you get a 'night sky' in the bacckground with say the 'moon' made from a light in front?

Ta very Much Scraggy

heres what I have so far, not much .....user added image

Phew! nearly sent a BIG piccy user added image sorry about your space
I'm trying my best.

see below

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 20-06-2004 at 02:39 PM.
# 2 20-06-2004 , 02:32 AM
Subscriber

DOH!

Here ya go.....

(made it small to compensate)

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 20-06-2004 , 04:58 AM
pretty neat... i would say the ground needs work... too smooth you need to texture it...

# 4 20-06-2004 , 05:36 AM

# 5 20-06-2004 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber

Hi.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, maybe you could not see the texture map as it's meant to be a 'Night' scene. Heres a pic.
As for the ground, hmmm - Don't graveyards need to be flat? I have never seen one on bumpy land.
All the ones I have visited round here taking photo's are? (Apart from 1 that slopes)
But no worry's the ground is a poly plane so can be sculpted as required - I can easily make a few bumps and dips here and there.
[I think maybe the scene will look different once some more trees and headstones are added ]
Thanks for the tip about Terragen, I used to use it about 3 years ago (when I did maps for Tribes 2 and Unreal ) and had a look recently when I got a trial on a magazine CD - The program has improved a lot, but like I said before - I didn't want it 'too bumpy' so just used a simple poly plane.
I am currently modelling some tombstones and trees, and attempting a 'stone wall' - But while I wait to do the models I thought I would play around with the lights - so the textures you see here will not neccesarrily stay (Those gateposts are definitely not staying!) the tops look rubbish.

Regards - heres same scene lit with white light. Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 25-06-2004 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber

Sorry :(

Hi and sorry to "IAmThaGuvNa" - You were right and I was wrong.
I think maybe the real scene should be somewhere between yours and mine. (Terrain pic's)
I regret doing the "Fence/Railings" as straight as I did, but at the time I assumed I was doing it right.
As for the ground, I played around a bit with it, and I reckon it looks better but not 'Good'

Now it's time to get the "Background scene" looking 3D.

I looked through the "Help" in Maya and "Web" but didn't turn much up on creating a 'Sky'.
I tried playing around with "Env Sky" then got totally lost and did an 'Image Plane' and fitted with a texture, so at least I had done something.

Hmmmm - Surely Maya has a better way of creating sky scenes than just a plane?
I did games once and used to use "box" sky's
I saw in a dropdown along with "sphere" etc, Hmm maybe someone can P.M. me in the right direction?

Yours Hopefully Scraggy

Thanks to Mayang

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-07-2004 , 01:59 PM
Maybe you could add some fog, also shadows contribute the the "spooky" feeling your refering too...

Good luck.

# 8 05-07-2004 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for reply, but what I really need is a "Candle flame" for the table - then alpply some 'fog' .- I have looked on the net and posted a question or two in the Forums - but so far no-one has replied... (To be honest I was hoping you had the answer user added image
I have searched the net and think???? that it could be done by making a Nurbs flame shape (Maybe deform a sphere?) then assign a shader to it. But - I have not had much success myself with the shader.

Any suggestions about the candle and flame would be appreciated.
It's stuck in 'limbo' till I work out the flame, although I have done some 'tweaks' to the lighting etc and looks bettter now IMHO.
The image is hard to see on a 'white background and at such a low resolution - I will P.M. you with the site the latest one is on, see what you think....

Thanks Scraggy

# 9 05-07-2004 , 04:05 PM
if you have a digital camera then get a black piece of card and film a real candle flame. It will be better than anything you can do in CG.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 10 05-07-2004 , 06:28 PM
Subscriber
Thanks again Alan, I do have one but it's not a very good one (no manual focus or zoom) - But maybe I can 'find' a nice piccy from somewhere - Then you mean use it as a texture on a Nurbs shaped "flame" ? Sounds like the best plan yet user added image

Scraggy

# 11 06-07-2004 , 10:46 AM

Last edited by jam_ed; 06-07-2004 at 10:49 AM.
# 12 08-07-2004 , 01:22 AM
Subscriber
for spooky scenes i like to use wider lenses and longer shadows....

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com