Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-07-2004 , 08:20 PM

Height Based Shader Tutorial

I need help building a height based shader for terrain. Can somebody please help me. I am using Jan Sandstrom's tutorial but I can't seem to follow it properly.

I will try and post a pic of the shdaer network I am trying to recreate. It is Jan's shader.

Or if someone has a better way to do it. I currently use a shader called Grassyknoll. I am not sure who made it but It is quite good but it doesn't create snow and rock exactly how I would like.

I will be forever gratefull!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-07-2004 , 04:15 PM
Uhm... not that there is any danger of this question being answered in while I'm typing this. I would like to point out that Mod from Renderosity has been helping me out with my shader quest. He's gone as far as creating. so far, 3 video tutorials and counting.

Thanks anyways.

# 3 23-07-2004 , 04:35 PM
Well that's great, I'm glad they are helping you out. But if no one's answered here yet then please be patient. Questions here normally get answered VERY quickly (i just answered one for someone in less than 1/2 hour and that's not bad going). I spent 2 days helping someone out with a problem and created an expression and 3 scene files for them. So please dont come back here and tell us how great some other mod is on another board cause we bust our arses helping people here. Acting like this is immature and it will make people very unlikely to help you in the future....

If you really wanted to be a part of the board you would say "shame no one could help me, but if you are interested here is how i solved it.....".

Alan user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 23-07-2004 , 07:13 PM
Sorry for my lack of tact when expressing my observation but the shader question was causing me grief when I had originally posted and it seemed that no one was going to be able to help.

Next time I will think before I type. I also have a dry sense of humour and usually that comes across poorly on boards so if I seem snarky I'm really not.

But I still find that this board does seem, to me, to be the road less travelled compared to some of the others out there, but it has a great close knit family feel to it, which is why I want to belong to it. The numbers of post viewings and the number or replies to posts, not just mine, seem low. I know that if a person doesn't know the answer they aren't usually going to post a response but I usually post the same question at 3 or 4 different boards and this one tends to be the one answered the last and the least.

Having said that I find the actual responses to be of the highest quality and exceedingly helpful. I do my part by spreading the word about this board to others and by trying to help out where I am able.

Thanks for your response.

mmm. I wonder how long it will take for anyone to respond to this, if any?

(see bad sense of humour):o

Shayder

# 5 26-07-2004 , 10:38 AM
it's ok, the thing you should realise about this board is that there are a ( i think it's fair to say) a lot of noobs on this board. So thay may have a look at your thread but not feel able to answer the question posed. They come to this board for exactly the reason you said it's a close knit family that is pretty easy going on the newer members (unless you get me on a bad day! :p)

I try to answer as many as possible but there's only so much I can do (and I dont always have the answer). The other thing you can do is post the question in the maya basics and newbie forum as it is more heavily used than this one. But dont double post user added image

I know what you mean about the humour, it can come across as rude if people dont take it as you meant it.

Anyways no harm done user added image

Alan

Ps I only took so long to answer as it was the weekend and I didnt get to check the forum! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB