Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-08-2005 , 06:11 PM

Bending an object to follow a curve?

Hi, im modelling a rope and have created it using two extrudes along paths, then grouped the two together. I am now trying to bend the rope so that it follows a curve, but dont know how?! Once i know how to do this the plan is to model the rope more precisely (at the moment it's only roughly modelled to work out how to do it) and longer and then make it follow a curve in the shape of a lasso.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-08-2005 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
either a non-linear bend or a lattice deformer should do the trick.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 25-08-2005 , 07:00 PM
Yeah i've tried both of them and they don't seem to work, must be doing something wrong! The problem with using a bend is that its going to be a lasso, so the shape i quite specific. I'll have another go at trying the lattice. Cheers.

# 4 28-08-2005 , 10:15 AM
Ive tried to use the Attach to Motion Path and then the Flow Path Object as I thought this would make my rope follow the curve, I've tried tweaking all the settings but I can't get it to follow the curve exactly?! :headbang: Any ideas how to do this? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 29-08-2005 , 09:23 PM
I don't know if this will help but using nurbs if you create a nurb circle select it and the the curve and use surfaces extrude then in the component editor change the fixed path to "on" and the Use component Pivot to "Component Pivot" this will create a nurbs cylinder following the exact path you have set as cylinder diameter will also be dependant on the diameter of the circle so you will be able using the nurbs circle and the curve be able to adjust the cylinder as you wish.

Adam

# 6 30-08-2005 , 04:11 PM
Thanks for the tip haynesy unfortunately ive already modelled the rope so it is no longer a profile, so couldn't use the Surface Extrude. I've given up trying to get it perfect now so ended up just using a Lattice and moving the vertices around to form the shape of the lassoo. Here's a pic, i think it looks ok.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 30-08-2005 , 09:23 PM
Yeh does look good nice modelling!