Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-11-2013 , 09:56 PM

Lamp

Here is a Lamp I built last week, got a little help from CtBram with modelling.

Rendered with Global ill, final gather and mental ray.

All comments welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 06-11-2013 , 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
I dig the lighting and presentation, nicely done. Some DoF would add such an elegant touch for the close ups. Speaking of the close ups, no screw threads on the lamp? o.O

- Genny
# 3 06-11-2013 , 01:41 AM
Having Fun!!!!
Great Render Mate!!! Looks really good.

# 4 06-11-2013 , 09:03 AM
looks awesome! well done

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 5 06-11-2013 , 11:12 AM
Thanks Guys,

Yes Gen, well spotted - I get lazy sometimes. I think there is actually a nut supposed to be on the other side of the screw. And I forgot all about Dof, that would definitely sell the realism. I'll make some Depth maps.

How would you have done a glowing bulb in this instance?

# 6 07-11-2013 , 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Would've started off with a non shadow casting bulb object with a mental ray area light(not set to visible or emit specular) inside and a light surface shader on the filament object. Plug a nice temperature controller shader like a blackbody or mib_cie in the area light and light surface color. Set the light surface to contribute to reflection and fg, turn on "use lights", connect light's translate position to eval point, and drop the light into the "lights[0]" slot so I can control the light surface's brightness with my light's intensity instead of having to tweak both. Then crank out an incandescence pass to use in post to control the glow. Bah, done rambling now.

- Genny