Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-03-2005 , 02:57 PM

First finished Maya work: Nissan 350Z

Hey guys, this is my first post here as I've just started working with Maya a month or so ago (was using 3ds max until then). Just wanted to get a critique on a work I just finished!

It's my first try at a car, I used box modeling on most of it (all of the body). Thanks to Dias at www.cgreality.com for the tutorial, it got me started and used to using box modeling for complex curves like these. It was also my first time using more complex materials, but I think most of them worked out well.

Anyways here are the pictures! Any critique is greatly appreciated!

user added image
user added image

Thanks!

- Jesse

# 2 15-03-2005 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Sweet!

BTW, welcome to Maya, as 3DS Max user you can share you insights on the pros and cons of each (always a hot topic user added image )

Of course all your max buddies will accuse you of going to the dark side.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 15-03-2005 , 03:48 PM
Nice work, nothing to crit, but I almost cryed , when I saw such a good tutorial written in language I cant understand.user added image

# 4 15-03-2005 , 04:58 PM
thw head lights look really good i think.. perhaps the side window needs some reflection, the back has allot of refelection but the side none it seems a bit.. hmm don't know the word for it.. but umm matte or something user added image

# 5 15-03-2005 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by urvinism
Nice work, nothing to crit, but I almost cryed , when I saw such a good tutorial written in language I cant understand.user added image

Try using babelfish: https://world.altavista.com/
use the italian to english translation (or italian to _____ whatever language you're more comfortable with)

I won't be perfect, but it should get about 90% of it translated. Enough to hopefully follow along with the tutorial.

# 6 15-03-2005 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
That is a superb website!! It converts the whole website into English!! (its quite poor english, mind you, but its good enough to follow).

user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 7 15-03-2005 , 06:11 PM
Thanks again, mhcannon. I start to wonder if I could have a problem which you couldn't help me with. user added image

# 8 15-03-2005 , 07:25 PM
Subscriber
Go to this thread to Download the PDFs for this Tutorial, they are in English and Italian

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 15-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.
# 9 15-03-2005 , 07:31 PM
Subscriber
Hey, even better! Thanks BMS.

# 10 16-03-2005 , 12:07 AM
Subscriber
You're welcome Michael,

As a Newbie there is very little I can contibute to, great that I found a post where I can help user added image

# 11 16-03-2005 , 02:46 AM
mhcannon: Thanks! Yeah, I had gotten pretty used to 3ds max, but already I'm taking a liking to Maya. It just seems more intuitive in general. Although a few tools that I use a LOT, I've been having lots of trouble with. Particularly bevel and the booleans. Bevel seems very picky, it often makes cuts almost parallel to the faces, which is weird to me. Sometimes "world space" fixes it, but sometimes it doesn't. And the boolean operations are a pain. I use them in modeling a lot, but Maya seems VERY picky on when it lets you complete them. 90% of the time both objects just disappear. Performing clean-ups on the objects sometimes works, but more often than not I'm forced to work around by cutting and extruding faces. Any ideas?

pixelsoul: Okay, yeah I see what you mean. Easily solved though, I'll just put some dummy objects around for reflection. The roof reflection just comes from a big white plane above the car ^^;; The headlights came out well, but were pretty easy to make. There's an object inside with a headlight texture on it, and then just a couple objects on top for shape, and then mirrors on the walls, and a plastic/glass cover. I tried building the whole headlight according to blueprint/pictures, but this came out well. Of course, I'm not sure yet what it looks like in animation, haha.

- Jesse