Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 391 02-01-2012 , 12:34 AM
19 year Veteran
Yes, you have to export the shapes via UV texture editor. Yo have to make a snapshot of your UV's. Then export them to photoshot or what ever else you have to paint texture on them.

# 392 02-01-2012 , 12:55 AM
Lifetime Member
You can import the 3D to PS THX from memory and paint it in there, I did try it out but it was cumbersome and didnt seem as effective as UV maps. Though I am not experienced in doing it that way...I could be wrong?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 393 02-01-2012 , 01:05 AM
19 year Veteran
Wow, I didn't know you could do that from memory. Is that a newer feature in maya? I'm using a much older Maya 6.5.

# 394 02-01-2012 , 01:08 AM
Noober than noob
Yeah, i've heard of that method... but i wonder if this works with Corel. I just hate the way photoshop is set up. It seems Corel beats it in terms of comfort in the workspace, but photoshop has a few things that I probably haven't discovered yet. So far I can't really find what PS can do that Corel can't except maybe open some other kinds of files.

And memory painting... I never tried that. No idea how it works.

# 395 02-01-2012 , 01:23 AM
19 year Veteran
As far as I know you can use any paint program you want to paint your textures with. You can export your UV's as a tiff, jpg, targa ect... Corel should be able work with any of those formats.

# 396 02-01-2012 , 02:06 AM
Noober than noob

As far as I know you can use any paint program you want to paint your textures with. You can export your UV's as a tiff, jpg, targa ect... Corel should be able work with any of those formats.

Yeah, maybe PNG will do since it has transparency too.
Then i can paint and update textures in real-time while having Maya on. (at least that's what I did with the planets).

And now I wonder what to work on next... I have 3 choices:
1 - draw the female counterpart of this alien in 2D (since it will be way different)
2 - continue designing the human character I was working on in Maya.
3 - just render next 300 frames of the Solar System animation. I gave up on space dust there since it both makes the scene render too slow and doesn't receive illumination anyway. Will just replace it with a massive cloud of stars instead and might re-render the first 600 frames again since it will only take 2 hours.

# 397 02-01-2012 , 05:31 AM
Lifetime Member
You can import OBJ, U3D, KMZ, DAE, and 3DS formats straight into CS3 and above. Again they are not too good as yet...I dont have CS5, that may have improved heaps.

THX bahahahha from memory....I meant my memory lol.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 398 02-01-2012 , 12:10 PM
Noober than noob

You can import OBJ, U3D, KMZ, DAE, and 3DS formats straight into CS3 and above. Again they are not too good as yet...I dont have CS5, that may have improved heaps.

only 3ds? Hmm, let me test this, since i still have some of my models of 3ds max stuff left.
Uh... that didn't work.

Attached Thumbnails
# 399 02-01-2012 , 01:15 PM
Lifetime Member
Its a pain to do mate...I wouldnt nother...I dont have CS5 but CS3 just takes too long...its not ready yet...or my laptop just doesnt have the grunt. As THX said...quicker to UV map in Maya, export that to PS and paint it that way....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 400 02-01-2012 , 04:16 PM
Noober than noob

Its a pain to do mate...I wouldnt nother...I dont have CS5 but CS3 just takes too long...its not ready yet...or my laptop just doesnt have the grunt. As THX said...quicker to UV map in Maya, export that to PS and paint it that way....

cheers bullet

So if CS5 is supposed to open 3ds files, why doesn't it open them though? This isn't a texture but an object in a scene. It doesn't want to open the scene.

# 401 02-01-2012 , 08:06 PM
19 year Veteran

LoL, was just messin with ya. Anyway's, the ability to import the physical model into photoshop is a geat idea. Too bad that it's difficult to do. Puts maya paint to shame.

# 402 02-01-2012 , 08:09 PM
EduSciVis-er
I tried painting a 3D model in photoshop and it was bad... really awkward navigation, which should be top priority when painting directly on the surface. Could have been that I wasn't used to it, but it didn't feel right.

# 403 02-01-2012 , 09:14 PM
The thin red line
You need to be in the 3D part of photoshop and it need to be in a format that photoshop can understand obj or fbx, better still get mudbox or zbrush............dave

# 404 22-01-2012 , 12:30 AM
Noober than noob
user added image
Made the female version of the Zriganz alien species. Inspired by sharks and beta fish. A bit too dark but then again so are betas.

# 405 22-01-2012 , 12:49 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahaha THX I know you were joshin mate LOL.

As dave said and I think I posted...you need to export the mesh as an obj or similar.

quote [You can import OBJ, U3D, KMZ, DAE, and 3DS formats straight into CS3 and above. Again they are not too good as yet...I dont have CS5, that may have improved heaps.]

As I pointed out )no dave you are right, painful in PS)..it is very difficult to paint the 3D in PS. As dave has found out the nav tools suck...and my laptop wouldnt process so when I spun it around..it locked up. Yes THX if it was more intuitive and easier toolset it would be fantastic...especially for things like seams etc which ALWAYS appear. I believe the UV mapping in Maya is not good for joining things like lines across a fuselage or similar. UV a cube for me...then produce 3 lines on the UV one on each sector in PS and get them to line up perfectly..then if you do, do 3 diagonals...and tell me how you fare???

cheers bullet

bullet1968