Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-12-2006 , 12:37 PM

beard problems

does anyone know how to model a beard in maya, i dont really want to use hair or fur to do it, i was woundering if it was possible to model it say from a polygon or something,
P.S i'm trying to model a merlin style beard you know the really long type

# 2 07-12-2006 , 04:43 PM
Yeah you can, look into modeling with polys then texturing with transparancy maps. Should work for ya.

Cheers

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 08-12-2006 , 07:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ninjax

What gster has said is a good idea, but to be honest maya fur is actually ideal for this type of work, as a beard is not too long and can be tweaked fairly easily. The baldness map is also editable quite easily in PS. Ive recently done a 'Craig David' Style on a character at work, it took about 30- 45mins, the result was fine.

As long as your uvs on the head are good then you wont have too many probs.

Jay

# 4 08-12-2006 , 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Jay
Ninjax

What gster has said is a good idea, but to be honest maya fur is actually ideal for this type of work, as a beard is not too long and can be tweaked fairly easily. The baldness map is also editable quite easily in PS. Ive recently done a 'Craig David' Style on a character at work, it took about 30- 45mins, the result was fine.

As long as your uvs on the head are good then you wont have too many probs.

Jay

thanks for the reply, could you post your model so i can see what it looks like

# 5 08-12-2006 , 12:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore