Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-07-2007 , 07:30 PM

Objects appear grey and I'm unable to select them in wireframe view

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so 'Hello!'. I downloaded Maya Personal Learning Edition yesterday, and I like it very much. Probably most of you know the attached picture well. Maybe it was your first scene too! user added image As you can see, my pillars appear blue and I am unable to select them in wireframe view. Also, when I try to render, they don't appear. I am able to select the pillars using the hypergraph view. I'm sure I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is.

I hope someone is able to help me. I'll make sure to add the forums to my favorites and look in other topics too! Have a nice day everyone. user added image

Attached Images
# 2 28-07-2007 , 08:34 PM
Lifetime Member
By the looks of the image i would say they are templated, are they on a layer ? if so change the second box on the layer from "T" to blank.If it's not on a layer then open the outliner and select the object there then hit ctrl + A to bring up the attribute editor for that mesh then select the first tab and go down to display and uncheck template.
Hope this helps regards JS.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 28-07-2007 , 08:52 PM
Thank you very much! user added image The following worked for me:

Originally posted by jsprogg
open the outliner and select the object there then hit ctrl + A to bring up the attribute editor for that mesh then select the first tab and go down to display and uncheck template.

Any idea what might have caused this?

# 4 28-07-2007 , 09:08 PM
Lifetime Member
There are a few ways to template an object but none that I know of that can be done accidentally very easily.
Most likely the easiest way to do it accidently is to right click on the object and under the actions menu is an option to template and untemplate,maybe you did this ???

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 5 28-07-2007 , 09:20 PM
Perhaps, I'm still very new. Sometimes I just wonder what an option will do and I try it out. user added image Thank you for your help.