Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-06-2003 , 08:35 PM

Working on a new website...

Like the thread title says, I'm building a new website and I would like some feedback from some PC(Windows) users. I've tried it out on Mac IE, and the scroll scripts don't work, but it works perfectly fine in Safari. I was just wondering if the Windows IE will work the site or not.

https://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartis...ore/index.html

It's not finished yet, but it's getting there. The Links, Gallery, and About sections are the only sections that scroll right now, so if any one here would be kind enough to help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

If it doesn't work, then I guess I'll have to redesign everything. All I know is I stink at web stuff! LOL

# 2 11-06-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
I like the graphics alot and the scrolling works fine... but... in IE the spacing between the buttons on the left nave do not match up. It needs a bit of tweeking. are you using Dreamweaver for the html? if so you might have to delete some spacers that it adds...

looking good tho'

# 3 11-06-2003 , 10:34 PM
I noticed that you are using GoLive and ImageReady....
..any chance you could get hold of Dreamweaver to output your code?

...no biggie... the code would just be a little cleaner and lighter is alluser added image

Also, a little css-p would help you out a LOT toouser added image

The scrollers work fine for me on my Windows IE (latest), but like
was said above, the spacing for the nav buttons on the left are slightly off a bit.

Good luck, and Great concept!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 11-06-2003 , 11:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I don't really know anything at all about what I did to get the site looking like that, and as far as the navigation buttons on the left, I don't even know how to check for spacers.

Using Netscape, IE, and Camino (Formerly known as Chimira), I've found that the only browser this actually works correctly on is Apple's Safari. I dunno what to do now but redo everything. The site picture was done from a photoshop file, with the layers being the rollovers on the navigation links. I used ImageReady to export the file out as a index.html file. Then I built the site from there in Go Live. I never touched any html code. hehe... go figure.

How would I go about tweaking the space on the Navigation buttons? Don't answer if it's not an easy fix. I'll just keep my old website! Just kidding! I'm just a little green as far as web stuff goes. Not my cup of tea.

# 5 12-06-2003 , 02:52 AM
Dreamweaver is crap. Frontpage is better, HTML is the best. Your images dont line up and your scrollers, along with having a link border which needs to be taken care of, do not work with IE on my PC. Nice look though. Also, when makeing a sight for a specific resolution, remember about scroll bars. You need to cut off about 20-30 pixels. Your site is just a bit to wide.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 6 12-06-2003 , 03:45 AM
Thanks a bunch. Yeah, in Netscape the border shows up around the scroll buttons too. Don't know why. IE on the Mac doesn't show them, or at least IE 5, and 5.2.2 don't. This is pretty much going on the back burner anyway until I get more of my book done. I don't even know if this will be the final look of the site or not.

If I paid someone to set up my site, being that I am a little lost as to what I'm doing, how much do you guys think it would cost me to hire someone to redo (although make it better than I've already done) my site? I might just hire someone to do it, especially since I'm thinking of self-publishing my books. I really don't think I'll be able to create a secure online store, and email, etc... without some help.

I do appreciate you guys helping me out with this decision. You guys get a gold star for the day!

# 7 12-06-2003 , 06:05 AM
I can do it for about $125 US dollars. Email me here, and check out my most recent site from the link in my sig.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 8 12-06-2003 , 03:36 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by Ultragames
Dreamweaver is crap. Frontpage is better,

I can’t think of anything to say to that but ROFL

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 12-06-2003 , 03:37 PM
Kevin

Dreamweaver is crap. Frontpage is better,

are you serious dude!!!!????

frontpage add so much unnessesery code it aint even funny....

wchamlet: take it from me... I have built loads of web sites that work in every browser..DONT TOUCH FRONTPAGE

# 10 12-06-2003 , 03:38 PM
Kevin
dam dave replied at same time

# 11 12-06-2003 , 03:47 PM

Dreamweaver is crap. Frontpage is better

Ummmm...You have to be kidding. Btw, nice job pointing him to the link in yer signature when you don't even have it active.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 12-06-2003 , 03:53 PM
Kevin

# 13 12-06-2003 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
Isnt Front page included in the McDonalds Happy Meals?

also Photoshop is crap to... its Windows Paint for me all the way!

# 14 12-06-2003 , 06:07 PM
Heh, they don't have Frontpage for the Mac. So I guess I'm safe there. All this stuff is greek to me anyway, so it's up in the air as to how my final site is going to look. I honostly don't care if it was done in BBedit, as long as it looks good in the end.

And the link in Ultragames signature works fine for me, so I don't know what you're talking about NitroLiq. I like his site a lot, and I greatly appreciate him offering to help me out. I'm still waiting to hear from him, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for all the help guys!

# 15 12-06-2003 , 06:14 PM
Yeah dude, I agree with Kev, Frontpage has always been crap.
It puts in so much useless code, and don't even get me started on IISuser added image hehe...

Iether code it by hand, or personnally, I use Dreamweaver MX as members of the W3C helped to develop ituser added image

Been using it for years, and never had any major code issues that weren't the fault of Mac IE. (typical)

Just personal opinion thouser added image

Just use what is comfortable for you, and also make sure to validate your code at the WC3 if you're not sure about syntax and/or cross-platform issues and have funuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com