Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-02-2011 , 09:25 AM
Subscriber

Workspace display problem

I'm running Maya 8 in Windows 7, from time to time I get a problem with the display in the workspace. When a pop up window opens it will show whatever was previously on the screen from other applications that have either been minimised or 'covered over'.
Anyone have any suggestions?

# 2 05-02-2011 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
sounds like a hardware/driver issue.

some gaming cards having redrawing issues with these applications, with that said, I am assuming you have a gaming desktop card, not a workstation card.

Long ago I had a issue similiar with my ATI 9800 Pro.. with applications over the Maya App not disappearing when minimized as well as editing Isoparms on Nurb surfaces..

Hope this helps:

Try minimizing and then bringing back the application for it to refresh the whole application drawing.

also try updating your video drivers.

# 3 05-02-2011 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
Thanks, I don't think my card is a gaming one but you have confirmed my suspicions and I am investigating the monitor and graphics card settings.
Try minimizing and then bringing back the application for it to refresh the whole application drawing.

# 4 05-02-2011 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
Do you have transparency on in your "windows theme" settings - older versions of Maya used to really hate it for me - something about being able to see though the top bar drove it nuts.
It being a gaming card means nothing - its mostly cards with good opengl settings that are better - had real problems with displays and ATI in the past but I`m not getting in to that fight again (I hate them - FYI).

Anyway turn off transparency under color in the theme settings and see if that sorts it for you.

# 5 08-02-2011 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber

Workspace display problem

Do you have transparency on in your "windows theme" settings - older versions of Maya used to really hate it for me - something about being able to see though the top bar drove it nuts.
It being a gaming card means nothing - its mostly cards with good opengl settings that are better - had real problems with displays and ATI in the past but I`m not getting in to that fight again (I hate them - FYI).

Anyway turn off transparency under color in the theme settings and see if that sorts it for you.

Thanks tt,
Collected wisdom suggests that several areas could be contributing to the problem, I'm learning a lot so its back to basics and review the quality of my system and upgrade if necessary. This takes me way beyond my capabilities so its off to an expert with my machine tucked under my arm.

# 6 09-02-2011 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
heh.. you would know if there was an issue with your monitor. They normally work.. or don't..

so if windows and etc works on your monitor.. it's definitely not the monitor..

What you have are a variation of artifacts.. You said you don't think your video card is a gaming card. Is it a workstation card? better yet, what type video card do you have. If it's integrated. Go buy a new one and disable the onboard video.

giving the Make and Model would be great.

to find this out

goto START/(RIGHT-click)Computer/Manage/Device Manager/Display Adapters.

and under it should have like

Nividia Quadro FX 4600 (and here... the driver information)

i'd rather you wait to take it to a shop when this is a classic case of video card issues within maya.. I say that because us Maya users have ran into hardware issues like that before and have learned from these issues..

# 7 09-02-2011 , 08:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Ataraxy,

My display adapter is ATI Technologies ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, there was an update available (Version 8.791.0.0 26/10/2010) which I have installed.
I have two Samsung SyncMaster monitors which were using the Generic Microsoft Drivers which I have also upgraded to Samsung.

My problem is intermittent, I haven't picked what brings it on yet; right now everything is OK so I guess I wait and see if these updates make any difference.

Thanks again . . . I'm learning.

# 8 09-02-2011 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber
mmmm

well my hunch is your graphics card. it has one major issue in my book <no offense still a good card thought> and that is it's ATI. Secondly.. it's a desktop/gaming card.

Also. I took the Liberty of checking into Maya 8 on Vista/7

There are refreshing bugs.

https://download.autodesk.com/us/qual...aphics_win.pdf

read it.. look over it.

I would recommend upgrading to the current Maya2011 sp1, if possible. That should clear up some issues. Im sure the Vista bugs for Maya 8 carry over to windows 7 as well..

**Edit** forgot to say.. the 4600 is not listed on their compatible card list with Maya2011. and the ATI 4650 card has not been tested for it, which I interpret as, not intended to be used with Maya...

so.. save that $$$ for the dumb ole PC repair shop and upgrade sir!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ataraxy; 09-02-2011 at 05:10 PM.
# 9 10-02-2011 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Ataraxy,
Well you have certainly cleared away a lot of fog, I've learned a lot, trouble is, at my age one is prone to forget a lot as well so I have to act fast while I still understand what I'm doing.
Installing tomorrow a later version of a card listed by Autocad as fully tested and then I'll upgrade to Maya 2010.
This is just a hobby thing to keep my brain alive but I'm having a ball. The bonus is that most of the tutorials out there will at least be relevant to my version.

# 10 10-02-2011 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
no problemo mate! just passing on experience from experiences.

Also.. it just takes practice and you will remember how to do things, I still take notes and keep resources at hand while working. I think some of these 3D programs are just rabbit holes for the curious and creative.