Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-04-2005 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber

Wasp

Ok, I'm really very new to maya right now, so this might all go hideously wrong at some point. I've just finished the cartoon dog tutorial. It's the only tutorial I've really actually "done" but I've also watched a few of the other free ones (sorry SM you won't see any of my money till I get paid user added image), and at this point I'm reasonably confident that I can produce something half decent of my own.

I've decided on a Wasp. It was actually my girlfriend's idea which I thought fitted the bill for the kind of detail I'm looking to attempt. I'm aiming for realistic but, its more than possible that, it will probably end up as unrealistic... but hopefully far from cartoony. I will need some of you guys to help me when I get to the wings I think, not really sure right now how to make them - ie should I have the wing modelled? Or perhaps just texture the wing in? I am going to attempt to add more detail to the head and abdomen areas tonight, I will post anything I'm happy with.

Here's what I've done last night (getting a bit quicker now after Kurt's puppy tutorial - in this model I'm using the same technique). Comments, suggestions, criticisms, and any spare cash are all welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by petrol; 18-04-2005 at 07:22 PM.
# 2 19-04-2005 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
Just been retouching some of the vertices and angles on the legs to fit the image planes, shaped the shoulder better, just little things really. Didn't have much time tonight, but tomorrow I'll try to work more on the abdomen. Possibly some work on the main arm of the wing. Anyway here's what I have so far.

Attached Images
# 3 19-04-2005 , 02:23 PM
Not bad, keap it up!

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
# 4 23-04-2005 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
A little progress has been made, mostly tweaks to the legs and abdomen area. Some work to the face is the next point of call here before I turn everything into poly. Still unsure how I'm going to model the actual wing, as it needs to fold (preferably). I already tried modelling the wing once, started with plane, and extruded faces to mimic the pattern of a wing, but due to all the splits needed, it came out looking horribly patchy so I ditched it.

So here is my latest version, followed by an idea of the reference and how close it is/isn't to my reference user added image Remember, most of the detail will come in the poly / sub-d part of the process so it will all look a bit 'soft' to look real right now, but I'm still aiming for realistic. Crits welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 23-04-2005 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber
With ref.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 23-04-2005 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
very good start and nice ref ya have for it.