Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-12-2005 , 06:48 PM
Subscriber

Converting movie clips to images!

Hi.

Does anyone know of a software that converts movie files(.mov) to a series of images?

user added image

# 2 16-12-2005 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
If you have any effects software such as after effect, combustion, ect. or any non-liner editing software such as Avid, Premier, FCP- if you have a mac. And you can then import your .mov file into the software you have and the select the frame that you want and export it out as some type of image format like tiff, or jpeg. depending on what you want.

# 3 16-12-2005 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
you could also do the same thing with the entire .mov if you so choose to. It would just take a long time to export each frame, considering that there're 29.97 frames per each second of footage that you have in your .mov file-------also depending on the type of compression used to create your .mov file the number of frames per second might not be exactly 29.97, but it will be alot of work.

# 4 16-12-2005 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
I have After Effects. Du you know how to do it in AE?

thx
:bow:

# 5 16-12-2005 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Import your .mov file into AE then place the .mov onto the timeline. Then you will have to manually move through each frame, and on each one, go to file-export frame- and save it where and as what you want, then repeat the process for each frame. Just as a suggestion I would numerically number each frame that you export so that you don't get confused about what order they go back together.

# 6 17-12-2005 , 03:08 AM

Originally posted by kablink
I have After Effects. Du you know how to do it in AE?

thx
:bow:

If its anything like Premiere Pro --

File -> Export -> Movie -> Settings -> Windows Bitmap (in filetype)

It will export each frame as a series of bitmaps -- starting with whatever you wanted to call the first frame.

... again, there will be a LOT of frames for you to deal with.

# 7 17-12-2005 , 03:10 PM

If you use the maya

The digital fusion is a quite good choice¡«

hello~maya~
# 8 30-12-2005 , 11:54 PM
Dosent adobe image ready coupled with Quicktime pro do it? Think it creates a series of layers from the individual frames? I read about it in After effects with photoshop by Jeff Foster (had to give it back to the library other wise I would have had a proper look)

You could then create an action to move the layer into a new image and then use the batch process to output each frame, altought you would then need to remname each file in sequence some how, although there might be a way of doing it in image ready so you dont have tyo do the action?????

# 9 31-12-2005 , 05:55 PM
Just had a play on Image ready , it will read, .mov, .avi and mpegs and convert the individual frames into layers within one document.

Hope this helps you out a bit