Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 02-01-2006 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber

Jan/Feb - Norm - BMS

I never thought I would ever try to do two challenges back to back, but I couldn't resist this one. I've never done any real organic modelling besides my trout for the challenge last year.

Since we can do a human model, I'm leaning towards modelling my son . . but I still need to have a think about it.

Anyone have any good info on head modelling and what edge loops are? . . I hear people talking about edge loops but I have no idea what their talking about :blush:

Cheers
Paul

# 2 02-01-2006 , 10:41 PM
Great to see you join the challenge Paul user added image

I can't help you with those edge loops unfortunately, haven't got a clue myself.

Anyway, I wish you all the best in the competition user added image

# 3 02-01-2006 , 10:42 PM
The Maya Mountain
# 4 02-01-2006 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the super quick reply Mike user added image

I hope you're not going to think I'm too dumb, but are these the edge loops?

Attached Images
# 5 02-01-2006 , 11:02 PM
Subscriber
they are indeed user added image

# 6 03-01-2006 , 02:32 PM
hi friend!

for me, edge looping is a strategy to get different patches of geometry together. in addition you´ll find the geometry fitting major muscle groups. confusing part of those edgeloops is, you build the patches out of 1 single piece of geometry.

1) create a cube. increase subdivision from 1 to 20. move vertices and shape the form of a head with this method. it is possible but tedious. what you get is a mesh where every vertex is connected to 4 edges and every face has four sides. kind of scanned appearance consisting out of more or less straight vertical and horizontal edges.

2) create a cube. split em down with MJpolyTools until getting a rough headlike form. now comes the most important part. find a couple of strategic vertices where you connect a 5th edge to. what you get in the end is a complete different looking mesh where 99% of all vertices are connected to 4 edges but some verts have 5 edges. and STILL - all faces are quads.

to find those strategic spots is the trick of creating edgeloops. I had been thinking about edgeloops for a very long time. this would be my explanation on them and how I understood the process.

! create those extra edgelines in the very beginning of modeling. that prevents you from having a hard time remodeling it later!

you can see it on mtmckinley´s pic - most verts have 4 but some have more edges. or take a look at this pic and search for those verts with extra edges.

https://www.bunk.cistron.nl/plaatjes/buildup.gif

kind regards!

Last edited by Falott; 03-01-2006 at 02:34 PM.
# 7 03-01-2006 , 03:01 PM
one more then I´ll shut up.

split a row of edges -> pic1. you´ll get straight from one side to another. that´s cause the act of splitting begins with an edge and continues through the opposite one.

but what would be if you want to split around the corner like in pic2? you´d need to create an edge loop by connecting an extra edge to your strategic important vertex. -> see pic3

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 03-01-2006 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber
Probably THE biggest man on edgeloops out there, Steven Stahlberg:

Attached Thumbnails

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 9 04-01-2006 , 10:19 AM
Subscriber
blomkaal,

Thanks for that image, it helps a lot. I've actually printed it off so I can look at it while modelling.

Falott,
Thank you for the very informative post, I'm not sure if I actually understand it all but it certainly helps user added image . . I obviously have a lot to learn.

I'm going to do some searches on the web on methods to use. Still not sure what method is going to suit me best.

Cheers
Paul

# 10 04-01-2006 , 10:27 AM
Thanks on my behalf as well Falott and Blomkaal. I now know what edgeloops are and am starting to understand their use and how they're done. Thanks user added image

# 11 04-01-2006 , 02:25 PM

# 12 04-01-2006 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
I'd also suggest having a look at aNTROPUs for tutorials on hands, feet and ears if anyone's having problems with them...

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 13 04-01-2006 , 03:18 PM
Thanks for the links guys. They were really helpful.

Last edited by cris007; 04-01-2006 at 08:19 PM.
# 14 04-01-2006 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
Wow jram thanks a ton for that tutorial. I think I'll start using that method. For some reason I'm just attracted to it so much. It's like it clicks right away lol.

Don't want to spam your thread.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll figure out something good.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 15 05-01-2006 , 03:56 PM
I think modeling your son.. or a real life person is a great idea.. you will be able to create awesome texture maps for it if you take high resolution photos. user added image
Anyway good luck, whatever you choose!

mayafreak3

great tutorial link as well jramauri user added image