Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-11-2006 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber

can't convert to subdivisions

Hey guys,

I kan't get my model to convert to subdivision. I get this message wen I try to convert

// Error: polyToSubdiv1 (Poly To Subdiv Node): The conversion to a subdivision surface failed:
// This polygon contains an interior vertex connected by less than 3 edges.
// To fix the problem, either remove the edge with the interior vertex, or subdivide the polygon so that the interior vertex has at least 3 edges.
// The indices of the vertices in question are: 484. //

I've attached my file, so if someone is kind enough to look at it , I would really appreciate it

Attached Files
File Type: mb frank30.mb (226.0 KB, 227 views)
# 2 24-11-2006 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber
Dude i have the same problem in almost all my models , hmm if u want 2 u can complete all the model then smooth it, thats what my louzy design teacher said!!

Find a job you like and you wont have to work a single day in your life
# 3 24-11-2006 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
I've been doing the same tute today, and have come across the same error message for the first time that I recall.

Pretty easy to fix.

1) Go to Polygons->Cleanup[]
2) Reset the settings
3) Check "Nonmanifold Geometry" to on
4) Check "Faces With Zero Geometry Area" to on
5) Set Area Tolerance for zero geometry area.

I had to play with #5 for a bit. Too much and half your model dissapears. Too little, and nothing hapens. I was using something like 0.001 (default = 0.0001)

Note: Have a feeling that step 3 is unnecesary. Just so used to having to turn it on..user added image

# 4 25-11-2006 , 05:57 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Chances are you have some unmerged vertices.

Cheers
Jay

# 5 25-11-2006 , 06:54 PM
Subscriber
1) Load model file
2) Polygons->Cleanup[]
3) Edit->Reset Settings
4) Toggle Other: Nonmanifold geometry to on
5) Toggle Faces with zero geometry area to on
6) Set tolerance to 0.01024
7) Hit apply
8) Toggle Faces with zero geometry to off
9) Hit apply
10) Right-mouse click frankie, and select Object Mode
11) Modify->Convert->Polygons to Subdiv

EDIT: Just saw the hand.:shakehead. I'd fogotten about this, but I had the same problem when converting the shoes. The soles just went nasty. Actually dropped the tute completely for a bit and went and did some polygon boolean modelling user added image . Turned out, I'd forgotton to turn on Keep Faces Together in Polygons->ToolOptions->Keep Faces Together (global) or in the channel box you can set this flag for each individual extrude.

Hope this clears the frustration.
Simon

Last edited by enhzflep; 25-11-2006 at 07:01 PM.
# 6 23-12-2006 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
i think Jay is right since ived always had this problem and just found out that there were some vertices which werent merged yet. for example if you havnt found out the problem, if you have merged an arm to the body, check all the vertices around the shoulder/armpit by click on them individualy and move them slighty to see if there is one hiding behind it(dont select because you might end up selecting the one that you may see and the one which is hidding).

marlon,