Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-03-2007 , 02:32 PM

Viewport question

hi guys and galls ... I´m completely new to Maya .. and due to this I will say sorry for my 100% stupid question ..

I´m just trying the cartoondog Tutorial .. and as I want to change to side viewport I see that I don´t see anything (exept a white area) ...

user added image

klick please for fullscreen... what I have to press or switch that I see my picture at side viewport too? Don´t want to work from perspective port... a helpfull answer would make me very glad .. and sorry for my english I´m german ...

LG ^13

# 2 02-03-2007 , 02:54 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi , select the side view by clicking on it and hit 6 on your keyboard for textured view.

If you tap the spacebar quickly the side view will go full screen.

btw make sure your image plain in the sideview is facing the camera, it might need to be rotated 180 degrees

# 3 02-03-2007 , 03:00 PM
first of all thanx jsprogg for the answer - but unfortunately it doesn´t help ... if I press 6 nothing changes .. in perspective viewport it has shown my picture but not in side ... and I tried too to change the degrees but it stays white ... - the tutotial is very easy to follow but I stick at this point now .. user added image :headbang: - treid this several times now and everytime the same ... user added image

maybe I forgot to take a setting or something like this - not sure .. user added image

# 4 02-03-2007 , 03:08 PM
Lifetime Member
ok lets check that the image is actually on the plain. slect the plain in the sideview and click ctrl + A on the keyboard to bring up the Attribute editor, go to the material tab most likely a lambert and click on the box next to the color channel which should bring up your image file node, you can then click reload to re add the image to the material.

# 5 02-03-2007 , 03:12 PM
ha - thanx a bunch mate - the reload was the thing what helps me ... :attn: :bow: yeah - oki now I can start my first modeling process ... thanx a lot - very nice to see that here are friendly members what are helping bloody noobs like me.. as this is not normal ... user added image :attn:

LG ^13

# 6 02-03-2007 , 07:08 PM
Subscriber
^13 I felt the same way when I first came here, thought it would be like all the other messageboards with people flaming noobs every chance they get. Hope to see your model when your done with it. If it doesn't come out good don't let it get you down, practice is the key to maya... well practice and patience. Good luck

# 7 02-03-2007 , 07:56 PM
yeah you are absolutely right ... and I awaited no answer or a bad answer because I don´t know such easy stuff ... - I thought a while if I should post or not but well I did because I had nothing to loose - and now I learned not only how to add my picture i learned additional that not every bigger board about 3d software has arrogant users ... user added image

but I learned additional that modeling itself isn´t that easy as I thought .. it´s hard to move all in the right position that it looks good and so on ... never thought that in video all looked so easy .. but I won´t give up .. I learned a lot about maya the last 4 days and I have enough time to improve the rest ... if I have my dog ready - somedays I will post it for sure .. but I´m sure that I will need VERY much time ... :blush: