View Poll Results: Matrix: To imax or not to imax ?....
Yes im have/gonna do it on the big one no matter what.... 1 5.00%
I´ll see it asap on whatever available.... 9 45.00%
I dont care... i have drug induced ESP... i saw it on wachowskys brains... 4 20.00%
I wouldnt watch this pile of shite if they paid me 6 30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 06-11-2003 , 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Nataliia
What I think you are failing to understand is that the fact that the movies are "good" are just your opinion.

Ah, very good point. user added image
Gotta love this girl.

# 32 06-11-2003 , 05:26 AM

Originally posted by adldesigner
Gotta love this girl.

I love you too adl (blows kisses) user added image

# 33 06-11-2003 , 08:37 AM
Just went and saw it with the intension that it was only going to be eye candy. I was wrong. I loved it. I saw it on a regular theater and now I will go back and ee it on an IMAX. the way I look at it is like the original starwars. Empire stikes back they leave you with Han Solo frozel. Luc missing a hand and the rebels on the run. It did not rate well. Either did Return of the Jedi if you look at your history. If you do not go see it you will wish you did. You do what you want. I like all of you. Do what you feel right doing.

# 34 06-11-2003 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
I will pop up my "lurky" head and make a comment or two on Matrix Revolutions....

The CG and composition is simply stunning. I watched in awe as live actors were seamlessly transitioned to CG characters and back again, as thousands upon thousands of squid models were animated in incredibly intricate patterns... it was more than I ever expected. I sat there wondering whether I should throw in the towel and uninstall Maya, or take inspiration and know that although I may never achieve one tenth of one percent of what the ESC have done, I can certainly enjoy trying.

However, I have a real problem with the formulaic nature of the film. The battle sequence is filled with gushy hero speak... "Just give me a chance sir! I won't let you down", "If he were here, what would he do?", "lets give them hell" and so on. Indeed, this is not limited to the battle sequence. The clever, enigmatic dialog of the first film has been abandoned for the standard "I'll die for you", "while there is a breath in his body..." type speak.

For me the only real relief from this was Mr. Smith who transcends himself into complete evil and in the Neo/Smith "high-noon" style showdown I was practically cheering him on. It was this showdown that reminded me of the qualities of the first film. When the fight reduces itself to a simple martial arts battle in an empty warehouse, it reaches it's pinnacle as we are reminded of the first fight between Neo and Morpheus. Afterwards, it reaches epic proportions both in it's significance and technical excellence.

As we approach the end of the film, all of my questions were finally answered and I was left happy that I had seen it, throughly entertained with just a tinge of disappointment.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 35 06-11-2003 , 11:19 AM
>>Just like if you and 100 people ran off what you told me was a really popular stylish cliff, I wouldn't bother to follow you.

Haahahhahahaaaa... I already did that, some time ago, speaking to Adl about The angel Falls!user added image, hehehehhehe.... (and, damn!, i sure would jump from that cliff if i had the resources and knew enough of base jumping to do it...)

>>And I would probably ask what makes you so keen to conform to it, when you protest you probably won't like the film anyway. And then we would agree it's called choice, and perhaps you might consider why you assume your choices are fine and others people are useless because they don't match your world view

Damn righty! witchy-man. If it was true... Did you noticed you are all the time assuming i(and others) deprecate things(your (or other people) opinions for example...) BEFORE i express my opinion about them?user added image
Anyways I say im eclectic cause i watch, do, and absorb from anithing there is. That means exploring both closed and mainstream paths, just limited by the time and money i can put on it. (And this movie is just a trivial manifestation of those myriad things).
While i follow my own path i like to have empathy and trying to understand why this or that is popular among the bigest numbers of people, you cant do that witout experiencing it. Who knows you might end liking it... (in that im in disaccord with ya...i dont say No! beforehand... yes i might have lots of "prejudgements?" but i actively work to break em and replace em with rational opinions instead of holding to them no matter what(and without it being a precedent, yes, in this matter you can say im actively telling you you shift paradigm...)

I just cant say other people choices are useless if only because there would be in this planet noone that has made exactly the same choices as i haveuser added image(and i have to admit that in some of those chices i was wrong, so what, admit and learn) So on a normal basis i dont do that kind of thing...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> The story, although maybe not to everybody's tastes, is one of the deepest stories I can recall in a very long time.

You could find more deeper stoys on cinema if you looked hard enough...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>What I think you are failing to understand is that the fact that the movies are "good" are just your opinion.

Cheers! on that phrase (and not in saying matrix is crap) you just destroyed the beliefs of lots of writers and storytellers that went trough lots years of education believing that there are certain things that objectively make storys good...user added image
------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Actually the philosophical questions the Matrix trilogy discusses, are actually "refritos" (refried) philosophical questions which have been discussed since the greeks started the whole shit.
I think what this trilogy offered was simply a great time, some action coupled with two or three "questions" that made everybody kinda start wondering what many have been wondering for centuries.

Agreed...
What made this movie a monetry success was having just the right(and small) dose of refried philosophy and the big dose of fights and FX, thats the trenduser added image...
It would have been great if it truly explored philosophical questions(it wouldnt have been such a success), but think of it as having made the path easyer for future storytellers...

And now i have spent 10 mins on this post so ill stop here till after dinner... Flame! come to me!user added image

# 36 06-11-2003 , 11:42 AM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by MastahUK
God damn! I knew that '3Ders' were meant to be weird, thats for sure.......but how can all of you sit there and say this? The fact is that the Matrix trilogy has been the pinnacle of special effects in films

I hated the effects in the second one, not all of them mind you. I thought the fight sequences we're very dull, totally OTT. The rubber neo syndrome. It just didn't look real to me.

I will see the third part at some point, but not un till it hits TV.

I whish they had left it as one film.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 37 06-11-2003 , 12:01 PM
Kevin
Its the kind of film that you just know how its going to end before you have seen it IMO

As soon as I see that a 2nd and 3rd installment where being released I knew the ending, but I wont say as I wouldnt want to spoil it for you guys user added image

# 38 06-11-2003 , 04:01 PM
I was also disapointed with the second one. The smith fight in that one almot got boring the same way if some is scatching your back and stays in the same spot to long it starts to hurt. I think the music score in the second was very dull and unappropriate at most times. The third was not as good as the first but was a very pleseant surprise.

Almost seems to me the proverbial cliff is the fact you will not see the movie in theatures. How could you be a CG major, spend hours in front of the computer looking at wireframe, get insomnia from a render because you want to see how it comes out and then out of principal say you will not see it. I do not feel the ending was very "Hollywood".

# 39 06-11-2003 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
>>Damn righty! witchy-man. If it was true... Did you noticed you are all the time assuming i(and others) deprecate things(your (or other people) opinions for example...) BEFORE i express my opinion about them?

No actually what I noticed was you deciding what was right and painting other peoples views as ignorant. Which you are still doing, but now you have decided to also make it personal, which slightly puzzles me, but if you cannot 'win' a debate one way, try another I suppose. But it might be worth remembering that personal comments such as the ones you are seeing fit to make now are usually the last resort of those who have run out of coherent arguments. Now it is not about the issue - you deciding what is good for others, but about me taking it personally. How convenient. But unfortunately not the case, I don't take anything you have said personally, it really doesn't matter to me on that level at all.

You have now, on numerous occasions, informed people they WILL see this film whether by accident or not and what is more now, they apparently SHOULD see it because that somehow represents a great consideration for closed minds. Myself and others have told you we have no interest in seeing it, nor shall we, yet still you persist. The way you carry on one would think you had shares in the production.

Whatever happened to freedom of choice and expression in your happy paradigm?

If you want to see what I think are crappy movies and call it mind expanding that is fine, but you persistently denigrate other peoples views to try and prove your point and that is what I have taken issue with - if you have such empathy and such an open mind one would imagine you could tolerate a simple 'I am not going to see this film as I think it is bollocks' without embarking on some campaign of semi religious conversion.

On the flame point, if you cannot have a debate without flaming or believing that every point made by someone that does not agree with you is a flame then I intend having nothing further to do with this debate. This is not personal, nor does it need to be taken personally and contrary opinions are no more necessarily flames than they are wrong.

If I wanted to shift paradigm to your position by, variously, leaping to conclusions about the thoughts of others, mocking them for not following my perception of perceived wisdom and suggesting that seeing a bad movie for the sake of fitting in is somehow an allegory for the need to broaden horizons in real life, perhaps I would follow your advice and example. As it is, I think I would rather jump off the aforementioned cliff.

Last edited by Witchy; 06-11-2003 at 07:18 PM.
# 40 06-11-2003 , 09:34 PM
*In the best Beavis & Butthead voice*
Whoa ... that was deep dude. huh huh huh
Tits .. huh huh ... huh

Easy dudes, .. :p

# 41 07-11-2003 , 01:02 AM
-------------Begin moderately cynical-harsh response
WOOOHOOO!, what a barely contained rage! I must have touched a sensible nerve?user added image
I half expected you, being an educated person, could just say “I agree on this I don’t on that. And this is why, take it or rebate it”(which is what I douser added image?). But having in account the recursive patterns in your posts i knew you would try to flame me, as you´re quick to anger…user added image should I say: “congratulations, you refrained yourself?”user added image

I said you will end seeing the movie. I maintain it. Disprove it if you can.

I would love to have shares on the distribution, unfortunately I don’t.

I never said you should do it if you didnt wanted to.(once again you are putting words in my(and others) mouth. As I already told you, I think you should take care of it… That’s a form of taking the freedom of speech from others (the preferred form of doing it in democracy btw). I don’t have any coercitive power(or in any other way) over you, I just couldnt take the freedom of speech from you if I wished to do so.

------------End moderately cynical-harsh response

------------Begin more or less serios response

You know, I have a “refied” of the Scientifical Philosophy as my way to answer my metaphysics. Specially T.Kuhn paradigm shift and Okam knive. mixed with wathever I found useful along those lines (It would take a loong time to describe my complete philosophy about life and it will probably be much boringuser added image) . Resuming, I don’t ask you to think like me and I never said you´re ignorant. Just that you have a very solid, almost crystallized paradigm. You see things only from one side. I told you to try to look things and life from all sides, even if you maintain your way of thinking about those things.

I said I would see it now on the best cinema possible to have an eyecandy fest.

On the other hand. NOW as you ask I will make the effort to explain how seeing it fits on my paradigm, and detail you why i believe YOU should see that movie(amongst taking the effort of doing a myriad things much more important) if you want to give a try to being little bit more open minded (reasons wich, of course, you are free to say are bullshit).

I just realized there´s been a more or less big generational jump from the 16-18 generation to the 20-26. You know, there´s a number of things that in all of our diversity tie me somewhat to my generation. Some are big events(lets say the disintegration of URRS, the Berlin wall fall, OTAN referendum, the explosion of the challenger…we lived it from outside and weren’t as capital to us as the Civil war to our grand parents and the democracy transition to our parents but nonetheless they tie us somewhat) and lots of them you may call them trivial or right stupid. (Lets say Sesame Street, Maradona, Spectrum, tapes and analog disks, only two channels on tv…) But they tie me to them as well nonetheless (maybe even more).
16-18yrs people know that Internet is as basic a service as plumbing, and that AIDS its been there since they remember whatever sexual information they got.... The educational system went trough a (fantasticly well planned but badly implementated) period were it was more diversified and humanized but with 2/3 of the challenge I had when I did the equivalent… and now its been changed again in a way that in the practice segregates students on three groups(and future studys/career branches) based on their califications (cheers for the right wing!)
And 8-16 are growing with teletubbies… (wich are an scary example of non sutile neurolinguistic programming) (I could go on but ill leave the examples here)

Some of the “stupid” facts spawn sub-cultures, like StarWars and Matrix. Theres no doubt that they are just entertainment, but entertainment is a very powerful way of knowing what ties that generation together(and I am willing to bet with you that the 70%+ of them are fanatics and will see it asap(or talk about it on philosophy class) on a moment it can influence their way of thinking much more easily than to you and me (in fact I wish i had matrix as subculture at that age, Starwars was more on the mythological side, Matrix is more on the philosophical side)

So, to try to understand the ebb and flow of the world one trivial thing that might aid would be seeing that frigging movie that I myself have started to hate even if I havnt seen it yet... user added image

-----------Damn I have to go to bed. Its 1:30am and I wake up at 8… we will continue if you want under the terms of a mutual non aggression basis even if it gets philosophically personal?.

Last edited by dragonfx; 07-11-2003 at 01:14 AM.
# 42 07-11-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber

WOOOHOOO!, what a barely contained rage! I must have touched a sensible nerve?

You really don't know when to stop do you. You really have no idea about rage if you felt my post was anything more than a dimissal of someone who's views matter not one jot to me.

Such over dramatic language.

I feel no need to prove or disprove anything at all to you. You know nothing about me and long may that remain so.. I have nothing further to say to you - I am bored, sorry- but do feel free to blather on endlessly scribing pages of advice as you like, free country and all that and I doubt you mind if noone reads what you say as long as you get to say it.

Last edited by Witchy; 07-11-2003 at 01:52 AM.
# 43 07-11-2003 , 03:14 AM

Originally posted by dragonfx

Whatever for? It's obvious you've chosen to believe what fits within your predetermined view of the world. You will believe what you think to be true, knowing nothing at all about me, in the face of any proof I could provide.

There are many major movie releases that I've not seen and have no intention of seeing as they do not appeal to me. Of the biggest names I can think of "It's a Wonderful Life," "The Wizard of Oz," "Matrix 2," and *shudder* "Titanic." Just because others found these movies to be a range of hideous to terrific mean nothing to me. From the stories, reviews, trailers, promo stills, etc, the one thing I knew was that I had no intention of subjecting myself to torture and having to pay for it as well. The same goes for Matrix 3. I won't see it. Believe it, or not. Your choice. I no longer care, if I ever did. user added image

# 44 07-11-2003 , 06:32 AM
Keep it easy guys, I sense a tone of rage, in everyone´s tone here. Even though I´ve been known to flame, and to troll in whichever oportunity I had, I realized -not long ago-, that this kind of talk would actually permeate in my normal life. People around me would take notice and following a behavioural pattern I would have followed myself given the choice, started moving far away from me.

I do realize dragon´s enthusiasm might be sickening to some, but I feel certain words are way out of place -on both parties-.

On another note, I just saw the movie, and to my surprise I actually thought it was not bad. Knowing that many a movie have been totally destroyed -storywise- in many a sequels, I felt this one gave a cool ending to this whole story.

Not to mention the fact that the effects themselves felt way more real than the second one. I think someone touched this point already, but I do feel many a dialogue felt very, very cliched .. but hell, I found it entertaining. Not bad at all.

Have a nice day dudes user added image

# 45 07-11-2003 , 08:55 AM
Kevin
LOL end of the day guys, its about a film, either like it or dislike it.