Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-10-2007 , 11:25 AM

Making eyebrows and hair

Hi,

I am experimenting with making these for my character and wondering which way is best. They will both be short and non-dynamic. I could use fur with a baldness map, since it allows you to control the direction of the fur (so that the eyebrows are close to the skin etc) which I don't think hair allows.

Does making them both with fur and a baldness map sound like a good idea (I've tried painting baldness, but with the fur preview at anything like workable, it is to slow)?

Should I make the systems on copied faces from my mesh, then re-attatch them - I think you can use a wrap deformer. If I do, and wrap them, will they deform properly (I'm going to bind and skin my character and animate his face)?

Been looking in the help files as much as I can, but how to actually apply what it describes is not easy.

thanks,

gubar.

# 2 20-10-2007 , 07:16 AM
Well I would just make an object and attach hair to it and then use a constraint tool to tie it closer to the body with for example the transformer tool.

Good luck and please do put your progress in the wip so we can see how it turns out. user added image

Edit: And yes painting baldness sucks it is coopable if you use the "show attributes with colour" or whatever it is called. user added image

# 3 20-10-2007 , 07:36 AM
Hi weyu,

thanks for chipping in again to another of my threads!

Yeah I'd thought about just using an object constrained to the character and that would work fine for the head hair (just constrain it to the head bone), I'm not sure about the eyebrows though - because they'll have to move in exact time with his brow when he frowns etc.

Also, for static hair on his head, would you use fur or hair? Fur seems to be more "combable", whereas with hair you have to let it simulate to style from what I've done. Any thoughts?

thanks again,

gubar

# 4 20-10-2007 , 03:27 PM
Geez I'm just to tired now, static hair? What is that?

And well you are right about that thing with the eyebrows, they would not move with the eye-top-bone-thing. Some people actually paint their eyebrows, that sounds good to me...

What happens if you first apply the hair to the eyebrow holder then combine the objects and move the holder with the whatever it is called. Just a theory I'm to lazy to test, Good luck. user added image