Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-10-2007 , 07:42 AM

Texturing issues - different uv sets/resolutions

Hi,

for the character I'm making, I've got a base bump map that's 3000x3000 for his whole body. The UV space is taken up by his head, arms, hands and torso, to scale, so that no seams are apparent. His legs uvs are tiny since they won't be seen.

I find though that this resolution is not enough for fine detail on his face. Is it possible to have another uv set just for his head? This would mean essentially having two uv sets for the head faces.

If this can't be done, what other options are available to me? I'm reluctant to just increase the overall bump base texture resolution, since it is fine for what it does (just break up the surface of the skin).

thanks,

gubar

# 2 19-10-2007 , 08:42 AM
You can set an endless amount of uv maps to an object and then assign color, bumps, transp etc to it using the... whatever it is called. user added image

I think it is somewhere under Window>>relationship editors>> uv-texture linking. I might be wrong as I dont have Maya infront of me at the moment, I will check it up later.

I hope it helped, good luck. user added image

# 3 19-10-2007 , 08:46 AM
Thanks Weyu I'll get looking into that this afternoon,

cheers,

gubar.

Edit:

I've looked into it and read the help files. I've now created a new set of UVs just for the face, and made a UV snapshot and created a new tiff to be used as the bump. The problem I have though is that although I've loaded the file into maya in the hypershade, it is not a texture. So, in the uv relationship editor, I can select my uv set, but there is not texture to assign to it. I'm still trying to figure it out at the moment.

On the right track though,

cheers,

gubar.

Last edited by gubar; 19-10-2007 at 01:25 PM.
# 4 19-10-2007 , 02:32 PM
Well first assign the material you want to use then just plug the bump to a shade that you use on the model and select it. I hope that answered your question

# 5 19-10-2007 , 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Weyu
Well first assign the material you want to use then just plug the bump to a shade that you use on the model and select it. I hope that answered your question

Hi,

I've got a material on my object (a lambert). It already has the base bump assigned to its bump attribute.

The problem is, how to also attach the new bump to it, given that it can't just be layered (since its UVs are layed out differently)/
cheers,

gubar

# 6 19-10-2007 , 02:48 PM
well just assign a new shader to it and with that one the new bump. If you are using the same colour just copy paste it to speed the process.

# 7 19-10-2007 , 02:51 PM
I can't copy and paste the colour, like I said the scale is different between the two uvs - so the fine colour details would be blown up on the larger uv.

And do you mean assign a new shader to my uv set or object?

# 8 19-10-2007 , 02:53 PM
To the object, and well then just use a different colour it doesnt matter just connect it in the Texture-Centric.

# 9 19-10-2007 , 03:34 PM
Sorry Weyu, I don't understand what you mean.

If I assign a new material, then I am back to square one I think - if I assign a new material, what is the point of using different uv sets? If I could assign just the bump map to the new uv that would be great, but so far I don't see how I can.

thanks,

gubar

# 10 19-10-2007 , 04:09 PM
Well the way I see it you first have to apply the shader anywhere on the object(should be an easier way to do it tho. user added image)just to make it selectable then just select it and the uv in the texure-uv centric to link them.

# 11 20-10-2007 , 06:46 AM
Done it, here's how for anyone trying to do the same. I had to create a layered shader and plug both the file textures into it, with the mode set to Add. Plug this into a bump node, and that into your material.

Then you can go to yhe uv connection editor and choose to have the default map link to the original bump, the select the head uvs, and choose these to connect to the head bump. In the hypershase, you'll see a 2d placement node be automatically created and attatched to the head bump.

Thanks for the advice given in the thread weyu - I see now that what you mean could be one other way (selecting any face and applying the material just to get it on the object).

cheers,

gubar

# 12 20-10-2007 , 07:11 AM
Yeah but I think your way might be faster and better if you apply a larger amount of nodes so it is a good tip.

And well I'm Always glad to be of some help user added image