Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-12-2007 , 01:42 AM

basic rig

Hi there. I´m a noob. From what i learned on the internet i have made my first rig. Actually i just created joints which i connected to build the final skeleton and build ik_handles. Suprisingly it doesen't work too bad. But my problem now is:If i move the "main joint "(root joint)" downwards, the skin goes to it's knees. that's fine for me and it is because i orient constrained the ankle joints. but now, when i want to rotate the whole character via rotating the main joint, the feet stay in place.
how can i achive both : that the feet follow the main(hip) joint, and that i have the knees bend simply by controlling the main joint.? I tried the various constraints and also no constraints but stickyness turned on at the ik_handle attributes which neither did work. I know there are much more professional ways to rig a character, but this must work some way too i guess. Help would be highly appreciated.
psuser added imageI attached a pic to show what i mean.)

Attached Images

dp
# 2 13-12-2007 , 07:05 AM
You can create a new controller (a nurbs cicle if you want. Often called a master control or god control), from there, you will want to ether parent or constrain your root joint controller and both feet controllers to this new controller. you should then be able to rotate this new controller and have everything rotate with it. (you'd often want to add any hand/arm IK controllers to this as well)

(note, It's always a good idea to create a controller for a joint rather then manipulating a joint directly. don't forget to freeze transform after snapping a new controller to the joint it will be controlling).

# 3 13-12-2007 , 07:09 AM
The best way to lock your feet on the ground is to make groups out of the multiple IK handles on your legs. THat way when you move the root joint down the feet stay locked to the ground.
Create an IK Handle from the right_hip to the ankle. One from the ankle to the ball joint. And one form the ball to the toe joint. Now when you move the root, the feet stay locked to the ground. DOn't constrain the ik handles or use the Sticky feature. And do create controllers for your joints like stated above.

Attached Images

EA Games

Last edited by djknucklez1; 13-12-2007 at 07:16 AM.
# 4 13-12-2007 , 07:25 AM
what digidan said, but the IK from hip to ankle should be RPsolver, the rest should be SCsolver. For the life of me I can't remeber what they stand for, but to memory, RP is for any IK that controls a bend (such as hip to ankle), and SC is for those going from 1 joint to the very next (like ankle to ball, or from ball to toe). Someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.