Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 10-01-2003 , 06:53 PM
(obsolete link removed)

Still experimenting with different techniques. This is supposed to be the baseFoam that will float on the sea surface. The actual crestMist will be emitted from these particles.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 11-01-2003 at 06:44 PM.
# 17 10-01-2003 , 07:04 PM
Subscriber
WOW. that is great stuff. Your particles are coming a long way.

# 18 11-01-2003 , 06:45 PM
# 19 11-01-2003 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
wow! cool! my only thought is one I usually have when watching ocean scenes done in maya - the waves don't seem as heavy as they could be - could having them move a little slower make them seem more powerful?

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 20 11-01-2003 , 07:11 PM
I'm not concentrating on the looks so much at this point. I'm trying to figure out the techniques that I will use in my final scene. Thanks for the input anyway. I'll take a note of this...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 21 13-01-2003 , 12:49 AM
baseFoam and the crestMist (168 kB)

Damn this is time consuming. Finally I'm begining to feel I'm on the right track. C & C please user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 22 13-01-2003 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
Kbrown
That looks great!:p

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 23 13-01-2003 , 01:49 AM
KB: Continues to look killer! I'm wondering, though....shouldn't the crest spray blow towards the positive z-axis also? It seemed like the spread of the mist wasn't covering all the waves. Like it wasn't blowing from the dark, frontmost wave, only a thin stream above the waves in the back. Maybe it's just the perspective of the render?

It also looks like it's emitting from one point on the crest (like smoke coming from a cigarette or something) but in a real storm, wouldn't the spray be blowing from the entire surface....crests and trough. Perfect storm has been on all weekend...I should've take a closer look.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 24 13-01-2003 , 06:51 AM

KB: Continues to look killer! I'm wondering, though....shouldn't the crest spray blow towards the positive z-axis also? It seemed like the spread of the mist wasn't covering all the waves. Like it wasn't blowing from the dark, frontmost wave, only a thin stream above the waves in the back. Maybe it's just the perspective of the render?

The crestMist is emitted from the baseFoam with an initial upward velocity. From there the wind takes over and blows it away. Changing the wind direction would have an effect on the looks. I'll do some more tests. I'm still trying to find out a better method to control which of the waves gets the mist treatment.

It also looks like it's emitting from one point on the crest (like smoke coming from a cigarette or something) but in a real storm, wouldn't the spray be blowing from the entire surface....crests and trough. Perfect storm has been on all weekend...I should've take a closer look.

It can't all be particles. It would kill my pc user added image. The size of the particle disk cache for that shot was about 1.7GB. I had one run which generated over 13GB disk cache. Maya wasn't very interactive after that user added image. Maybe I could split the different types of foam and mist in different scenes and composite afterwards. But first I want to fine tune what I already have. It's like controlling chaos user added image.

Thanks for the comments though. I got some new ideas to try user added image.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 25 13-01-2003 , 11:48 PM
I lifted the particles to the shelf until I get some über idea for controlling them better. Started experimenting with the sea shader instead. Here's an early version:

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 26 13-01-2003 , 11:54 PM
Looks awesome, KB. Did you end up using the shader from the tut I sent you?

# 27 14-01-2003 , 12:01 AM
Nitro: No, I didn't like it. I created my own by combining bits and pieces from various shaders. Let's see how this works animated...

Oh, almost forgot. I re-rendered the previous (particle) scene from different angle just to see what I would look like. Here it is:
https://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/karppa/anim/...Mist2_divx.zip

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 28 14-01-2003 , 12:07 AM
Kevin
awesome mr brown awesome!

# 29 14-01-2003 , 12:14 AM
Yeah, I got part-way through their shader but it didn't look right to me.

I think I like the previous clip better. In this one, the spray looks good towards the end...the smaller choppy waves (turbulance) looks kind of strange at start in that perspective. One thing I thought of was how wicked the newer clip would look with a sand shader...would be cool for a desert sandstorm ala "The Mummy." Still looks awesome dude. Keep on it! Would love to check out your shader network at some point.

--pete

Last edited by NitroLiq; 14-01-2003 at 12:22 AM.
# 30 14-01-2003 , 08:03 AM
Thanks dudes. I think I'll run a little longer simulation so I can render a scene where the storm has already developed properly. The sand idea is great. Have to test it some day user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB