Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 11-09-2009 , 11:59 AM
Join usssss...... lol

Looking great Tweety! Loving the shape of the head actually, it's definitely got that chiselled, adventure hero look going on so far, I'm looking forward to seeing what type of clothing you give him, as you've said it's kind of cowboy/westeren.

# 17 11-09-2009 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
Well went off one today getting loads of different ref on stuff. The main thing I was looking was the weapon. I thought riffle but I think they are a bit long, so I have gone for shot gun. Got some many different sources but settled on the one Jones carries in "Pitch Black" as the base and will add my own little bits here and there.

But there is a small thing I cant work out - the chamber were the shells go. Is there a small spring door on it or just a hole. Without seeing one its hard to tell in a pic.

Anyway here`s a few hours worth. Some bevels are needed in places and the rear is still very ruff.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/hero/hero_2_3.jpg

Edit - ** never mind I found out about the door thing **

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.
# 18 11-09-2009 , 06:14 PM
Nice so far!

I think they often have a hole in the side where you load the shells in, and a kind of slide that pushes up towards the barrel to lock them in, or the actual gun snaps open and they load from the back, as in this image.

Couldn't find one quickly that showed the side loading, hope you get what I mean though.

Actually, just realised the hole on the side is where the shells eject from after firing, it seems they can be loaded from an actual magazine though, like a rifle, just infront of the trigger on the underside.

Attached Images

Last edited by Dango77; 11-09-2009 at 06:18 PM.
# 19 11-09-2009 , 06:18 PM
# 20 11-09-2009 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
no the hole on the side is the discharge hole. the loader is underneath, but in video they load the shells so fast I could not see if there was a door.

In fact there is a sort of arm which covers the hole and when pumped pushs the shell up in to the barrel.

# 21 11-09-2009 , 06:19 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
With pump action shotguns, the shells are usually loaded in the bottom, and fed into the lower of the two chambers. And usually have a spring flap/door, to prevent dirt from getting into the gun. The hole on the side of the gun is the ejection port... it's not for loading the shells, but for ejecting them... when you pump the shotgun, you kick out the spent shell, and load a new one from the lower chamber into the upper chamber (barrel).

Your char looks good so far!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 22 11-09-2009 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by tweetytunes; 11-09-2009 at 11:20 PM.
# 23 11-09-2009 , 11:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
that's pretty awesome. user added image

# 24 12-09-2009 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
Sorted the bolts but will leave the strap until I have the final pose. Added a scanner to help him track down the bad guys. The idea is that it clips on so he can keep his hands free.

Its all about the gadgets.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/hero/hero_3_1.jpg

# 25 12-09-2009 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
Ok - thats it - the gun is done for now (texturing errrrm)

Added the shells and something I had completely forgot about - the torch (planed it all alone just forgot to to do it)

Next is the boots I think

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/hero/hero_3_2.jpg

# 26 13-09-2009 , 01:46 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
ok, ill make a early vote and declare you the winner.

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 27 13-09-2009 , 08:09 PM
Wanted to start my first Simply Maya challenge but it seems like this is way to professional for my level, damn that’s awesome

Keep up the good work mate

user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 28 13-09-2009 , 08:38 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Lion`I
Wanted to start my first Simply Maya challenge but it seems like this is way to professional for my level, damn that’s awesome

Keep up the good work mate

user added image

You should still give it a go, its a great way to learn.

...and if you ask me its not that awesome... its just a gun! user added image

The part under the front of the sight and the grooves in the side at the top look blocky. which is fine because i imagine it will be a mid-sized object in your final render. But the rest of the model is rather high res in places (the screws for example). forward planning my help you when rendering, you always seem to have long long render times. this unnecessary detail will really slow things down for you.

# 29 13-09-2009 , 10:20 PM
you know what hammer.horror just because you said that i will start working on this challenge right away, thanks for the motivation and i baddly wanna learn user added image

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 30 18-09-2009 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber
Well been away for a few days sorting out my real life (almost lost me GF and sorting out some work), but I have been busy. Blocked out most of the body now - but think I went into a little too much detail as most of this detail will be covered up, but never mind. There are some join marks in the render as I have not combined this model yet.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/hero/hero_4_1.jpg