Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-02-2005 , 02:00 AM

Lower Poly Evil head

Hi, this guy is going to eventually have the skin flayed back where there is the indent around his face, and also he will have eyes. =p
His nose is caved out too like it's been tore off.

Now, I'm trying to go low polygon for this so that I can put it in Half-Life 2 and CSS.

Be brutal =0
Remember, trying to stay low poly, I've got the sample work(Thank you Maya Modeling book for the base character on that)
and then a smoothed and a hard edged model.

Right now it's just the head but any comments would be nice. Also, you will notice the stomach / lower torso will only be spine, and I want to add armor or cloth at one point, but I'm rambling into the future quite aways.

Also, the ears are not attached so they can move anywhere at this point.

Enjoy and thanks for looking :

Attached Images
# 2 22-02-2005 , 02:01 AM
Another

Attached Images
# 3 22-02-2005 , 02:02 AM
Subscriber
Can't wait to see this one textured! That will make or break this model.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 22-02-2005 , 05:32 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, really gonna have to pour some effort into it. I want to get the skeletal teeth look very well too, If you've ever played Myth II, then you know who this is based loosely off of. Also, give me some feedback on the ear, unfortunately I accidently saved it smoothed, so thats what it'll be unless I redo it.

If anyone can point me to a good low poly ear tutorial or give some pointers, i'd be greatly appreciative.

# 5 22-02-2005 , 10:11 PM
yes yes!

Myth 2. I was just about to ask. Soul blighter is the name if i recall correctly? That was a damn classic game, especially online.
I really look forward to seeing this complete. Although i never thought his costume was that cool, with his supid pyjama pants...Hopefully you can improve on his costume.

# 6 22-02-2005 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
Heck, he's already missing his nose, why not just lop off the ears?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 7 23-02-2005 , 12:42 AM
Heh, well, you'll see.
Not following his character much except for face.
Heres a pic of the concept art (again thanks Maya for the base human guy)

Not sure if I overdid the skeletal aspect, it's still not too late, almost done with the fleshy part of torso.
I also want to add to the face some veins to the neck so show his anger I reckon.

Also, any idea on how I could use looping if I have a single vertex at a point where I want the shoulder bones to stick out in the back? I'll post a picture later and show ya what I mean.

Also, thank god for construction history, cause I smoothed and then saved =(
Hey! Maybe I can fix the ear for low poly.

Attached Images
# 8 23-02-2005 , 12:52 AM
Yay, I did, I salvaged my ear.

Also for his feet, I want to wrap them in some type of cloth, avoid the requirement of high poly's of the toes in a game. Any ideas on how I would go about making a realistic cloth wrap, would it be done with the texture or the geometry ?

# 9 23-02-2005 , 03:04 AM

UPDATE of work so far

Enjoy

Attached Images
# 10 23-02-2005 , 10:13 PM
HobbitGuy...? Thats a good tutorial. One of the first i did. user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 11 23-02-2005 , 11:06 PM
Actually, even though it looks like Hobbit Guys awesome tutorial.
Im really only stealing techniques from that, especially the splitting with detail while maintaining quads.

I've just done this so far off what I made up in photoshop with the removal of the nose and adding of the jaw/teeth, and following the basic tutorials from the UT2004 Bonus DVD =p

# 12 24-02-2005 , 12:52 AM
looking great,

can't wait to see it textured,

i'm sure this will look great.

George Bernard Shaw:
You see things; and you say, "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
# 13 26-02-2005 , 07:56 AM
I have attached head to the body, also put the spine in there Another picture below this.
I'm trying to add neck details too, and it seems rather extended (in terms of the next) from the body. Also, gonna post a pic of this problem area, maybe you guys can show me a better way of looping to make it more smooth. This area is right at the edge of the chin, I worked on it some tonite but didn't do too much.

Attached Images
# 14 26-02-2005 , 07:57 AM
3 pics including one with red circled problem area.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 26-02-2005 , 07:58 AM
with edges highlighted, also, I see that glaring triangle in the middle of that picture. =(

Attached Thumbnails