Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-03-2006 , 04:35 PM

Lunch!

In the second year of my degree i had to create a short film. I chose to make a film about a caterpillar and it's quest to find a tasty leaf. Here is a promotional render:

user added image

Large image here

WARNING to people with low connections, the video is approximately 50mb in size and requires the DivX codec to play. Click here to download the file.

# 2 31-03-2006 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
the images are nice with some nice detailing
the video crashes every broswer i try it in so i am in the process of downloading so ill post up my view l8r

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 31-03-2006 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
just seen it

wat a sad ending i really wanted him to get that leaf!!:headbang:

some nice modeling and animation there

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 02-04-2006 , 12:23 PM
thanks, i need to state that it wasn't my idea to put the lame music in there, essentially we had to create a film based on ideas we took from the opening to the lynch film 'blue velvet'. The animation was rushed as well as i found it diffiult to get the caterpillar rigged, therefore each 'segment' of the caterpillar is animated using wrap deformers.

# 5 06-04-2006 , 06:32 PM
I really enjoyed that... and I like the music too. It made me feel sad for the poor little caterpillar and it also seemed to lull me into a state of relaxation.

I thought the rendering was beautiful but I have to ask; what was that strange strobing on the caterpillar?

Overall I loved it. You showed that not only can you do CGI well but that you also have something to say. Bravo!

# 6 06-04-2006 , 07:05 PM
Subscriber
The render is looking very nice, only thing that looks strange would be the clouds in the background, looks like a lightwave preset texture from here user added image
Maybe see you around FADE user added image

# 7 06-04-2006 , 08:29 PM
Velusion

Thanks for the very kind words mate, I'm as perplexed about the strobing as you, i'm assuming that it was some kind of error with the shadows, unfortunately the film was rendered quickly to meet a deadline and I didn't have time to fine tune it, which is always a shame.

sspikedudley

I agree with the clouds, never really paid much attention to them before, and yes you spotted the use of lightwave, I needed a sky really quickly and it was the best thing for it at the time user added image

I didn't know you went to the institute, what course are you on?

# 8 06-04-2006 , 08:31 PM
Subscriber
1st year animation user added image

# 9 28-04-2006 , 04:05 PM
Ah! What a sad little film! Did not see that coming - reminded me of a scary nightmare I had when I was a kid.

Well done Rostoons - good work. I really liked the animation of the caterpillar and some of the camera work. The song didn't really do anything for me, but I thought that the way that you timed it to the music was excellent.

Good stuff! user added image

# 10 28-04-2006 , 06:25 PM
aww... thats so mean! user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 11 28-04-2006 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
wow finally got to see it ..i love it ... so good ..and man what an ending

i laughed .....cried ...it moved me ...

good work user added image

Last edited by mmoore5553; 28-04-2006 at 06:33 PM.
# 12 30-04-2006 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber
i loved the music. . .it was perfect for the little guys quest. too bad he didnt make it.

# 13 01-05-2006 , 02:44 PM
thanks for the kind words guys, man, i lose connection to the net for a couple of days, i come back and found all these replies, put me in a fine mood user added image