Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 25-05-2006 , 03:16 AM
Ok m8 - I had a quick play with it today and came up with a real rough effort. As I haven't seen your scene file, I had to make a guess at the text animation and my lighting is pretty crappy. But if ya still wanna see how it came out...

https://dhost.info/tiddles/farbtopf.wmv - only 350KB

(may need to right pick & save target as...)

Last edited by tiddles; 25-05-2006 at 07:55 AM.
# 17 25-05-2006 , 09:45 AM
Subscriber
Wow, thanks a lot for doing this!user added image user added image user added image I really appreciate you trying to help me out! Did you put a toon shader on, or did you just apply a white lambert to the sides of the type? Or maybe something really sneaky I can't think of user added image I tried a toon shader, but couldn't get it to work. I also tried a ramp and a surface shader.
The animation will be a bit more complex I want the type to bounce around like flees in a fleecircus. I'll put some playblasts. The swinging one still needs a little tweaking, but they were quick tests to figure out how deformers and latices work anyway.
Here they go come unfortunately I had to make them tiny to be abble to post. I haven't quite figured out how you host your stuff outside SM.

Attached Files
File Type: zip playblast.zip (192.9 KB, 114 views)
# 18 25-05-2006 , 11:03 AM
No problem - happy to help user added image

Your playblasts were real cool! Are you still planning to light these from behind?

How was it done? Well basically as I posted earlier, I set up a real quick scene with a single spotlight to rear with some fog and then added the text with a black lambert.

Because I didn't move the light, it was software rendered without the text as a single image file. I then removed the light and rendered an image sequence of the text moving across the shot (with alpha layer). Then both the background (spotlight) and forground (text as image sequence) were re-united in Sony Vegas (a awesome non-linear editor like Adobe Prem).

This is where I guess I got 'sneaky'. I could explain it all but for now lets just say it was a mixture of edge lighting, and soft masks. user added image

To tell you the honest truth, the amount I know about Maya would not fill a thimble, but I do know a thing or 2 about video composition & I would be more than happy to help in anyway with your post production....

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 19 25-05-2006 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
cheers,

yes I plan to light them in a similar manner. Probably not from the back though. It is funny, for me it is kind of the same. I started of doing animations first by hand, in flash and then in after effects. I thought I knew enough to get this effect going, but maya is just too complex. I kinda stumbled into maya and really liked the way it's animation features. Compared to after effects graphs (which are a nightmare if you want to give something a fluent realistic behaviour) they are just soooo user friendly.
But yeha, if you know a lot about after effect's I'll get back to you and ask for help, thanks again for offering that.
I was actually thinking of beveling the types edges, detaching them from the type and rendering them in a seperate pass and applying a slight glow in AEF. Your technique sounds a bit better though.
I have to say I am "limited" to using AEF and finalCut since that is what we have in college.

# 20 26-05-2006 , 12:13 AM
Well, I look forward to seeing how they turn out ...

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 21 26-05-2006 , 03:26 AM
good luck.

Lighting is so far completely a mystery to me, so you have my praise, both of you user added image

bobalie

# 22 26-05-2006 , 09:46 AM
Coulden't you do this all in After effects? That is if you want the easy way out!

# 23 26-05-2006 , 09:54 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Coulden't you do this all in After effects? That is if you want the easy way out!

It sure can user added image

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 24 26-05-2006 , 10:29 AM
Thought so, I did something very similar using AE's 3d Tools

# 25 31-05-2006 , 01:47 PM
Subscriber
hey,

i've been away doing some other stuff. But I did a short test and I think I got the look how I want it to be.
I probably could do this all in after effects. But AEF get's really slow on my computer if I use lights and 3D. Also I much preffer mayas graph editor and the way it handles animation. After effects curves are such a pain to tweak if you are going for some sort of realistic movement.
Anyway here's an example of how it is going to look like.
c&c's very welcome!

Attached Files
File Type: zip dirt.zip (99.1 KB, 126 views)
# 26 31-05-2006 , 01:53 PM
Hey farbtopf,

Looks good. The jump seems realistic to me with the landing and the rocking. Is the hoop a 3D element? I ask because it looks almost cartoony.

This animation is very differnt to what you have shown so far. All for the same project?

I give it .... 3 thumps up user added image

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 27 31-05-2006 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber
thanks,

yes, for the same project but all this other stuff were only tests to get the look right. Now that I almost know how I want it to be I can proceed doing the actual animation.
No the hoop is not 3d it's a 5 frame looping pencil drawing put in in after effects. I tried a 3d hoop but I just liked the contrast the pencil hoop offered much better.

hopefully I'll post some updates soon

# 28 01-06-2006 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
here's another animation test, blend shapes are great!

Attached Files
File Type: zip bounce.zip (6.9 KB, 125 views)
# 29 01-06-2006 , 10:48 PM
can you check the zip please?

I downloaded it twice but could not find a video file (mov, avi, mpg)

thanks....

- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 30 02-06-2006 , 12:40 PM
Subscriber
oops, this is wired. It seems I cannot zip my little film. I'll just change the extension to .zip . So this is not a .zip but a .mov After download just change the extension back to .mov

Attached Files
File Type: zip bounce2.zip (95.2 KB, 125 views)

Last edited by farbtopf; 02-06-2006 at 04:31 PM.