Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-10-2006 , 01:15 PM

Glow intensity not showing through glass.. Please help me!!

Ok guys my scene is space (as in sun.. stars.. etc.)

I have a Sun and it glows because i raised its glow intensity.

However when i look at it through the glass windows of my space shuttle it doesnt glow!
Its as if Maya thinks its behind a solid object and therefore doesnt need to bother with the glow, silly maya doesnt realise its behind a see-through object.

I considered just deleting the windows but i kinda need them... it'd look pretty silly flying thru space with open windows user added image

Does anyone know a way to get the glow intensity to show through glass?

Im using mental ray render.

# 2 08-10-2006 , 03:31 PM
this unfortunately probably occurs for the same reason that glows don't reflect off of shiny objects (at least, not by default, and I haven't heard of a way to get them to do it). Does anybody know?

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 29-10-2006 , 03:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
delete the glow and turn on incandessence and if you go into the hypershade i think you could do something with the shaderglow maybe someone else knows this in more detail

good luck guys

# 4 30-10-2006 , 12:17 AM
19 year Veteran
Could you show a picture of the problem?

# 5 30-10-2006 , 01:21 PM
Glows are post rendering, i.e they are added after the scene is rendered to the objects, this might be why it dosent work, as you said Maya would just consider the object to be solid and therefore as you cant see through it it wont apply the glow.

If It was me I would just use a light instead along with the model of the sun you have, that way the light will shine through the objects and act more like what sunlight would do.

That is if I understand your problem

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 30-10-2006 , 05:50 PM
What about rendering your window in a separate pass? That would work. Try setting up render layers.

# 7 30-10-2006 , 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Dann
What about rendering your window in a separate pass? That would work. Try setting up render layers.

Ha ha ha! never thought about that, god damm I use render layers all the time what a fool to not realise!!

Keep forgeting about the simple things in leif being the best.

Even though this aint my problem!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle