Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-03-2007 , 06:05 PM

very very new and confused

Hi,

I've very recently been exposed to some CG art and have been overwhelmed!!

I've been reading through some of the forums and noticed that many people use a combination of programs.

May question is:

What is the difference between say Maya and ZBrush?

I would like to get into CG art and am considering what program would be best to get for starters.

Thanks in advance for putting up with dumb questions user added image

P.S. I did try a quick search first but found nothing

# 2 21-03-2007 , 06:11 PM
Subscriber

Re: very very new and confused

Originally posted by bierius

P.S. I did try a quick search first but found nothing

are you sure. hehe.
:p

do like everyone else start from the beginning. tuts, read, books, dvds, forums, friends, school.
*google* look at the sites of the people who make the softwares. go to the zbrush website, or maya or max or xsi or lightwave sites and research a bit.
many have free trial versions, in fact all have free trials.

user added image

# 3 21-03-2007 , 06:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
Zbrush is primarily used to add super-details to objects, although it does have the functionality to create objects from scratch. It just isn't necessarily the best at doing so and uses it's own method "zspheres" that isn't done in any other app.

So, the real question is "which is better, Maya, Max, or Lightwave?" but then that will start a 80 page discussion that will all culminate into the answer being "depends". user added image

But between zbrush and maya, Maya can be summed up by saying you can make anything you want. Zbrush can be summed up by saying you can detail anything made in Maya out the wazoo. Zbrush is a companion app as opposed to an app to buy "instead."

hope that helps a little.

# 4 22-03-2007 , 05:11 AM
Exactly the answer I was looking for!! user added image Thanks a lot!!