Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-09-2007 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber

zbrush versus mudbox

I know I'm not suppose to ask about program preferences like Maya versus 3d max but I was interested in finding out the opinions between Zbrush and Mudbox. That sort of sculpture-like organic modeling in both of those porgrams caught my attention the other day and I was wondering which of the too was more popular or which did you find easier to use?
I was interested in trying one of them soon.

# 2 21-09-2007 , 03:08 PM
Subscriber
get both Demos. they are free.

then you can decide.

# 3 21-09-2007 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
I personally prefer zbrush, not a lot in it to be honest but I just like using my graphics tablet in zbrush and i feel it is a very nice way to work.

But like I say there's not a lot of difference, tablets can be used in both programs, but I just prefer the interface etc of zbrush.

Chris

# 4 21-09-2007 , 08:00 PM
Jr.Who

# 5 21-09-2007 , 10:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Personally I like both bits of software, each has their own way of working. Mudbox has a Maya feel to it in its zoom and pan etc whereas Zbrush doesnt.

Outright though Zbrush can produce textures as well as normal maps and dis maps whereas Mudbox as far as I know can only produce dis maps. this doesnt make it worse than Zbrush. If its a money thing then Zb will outweigh MB for sure. I think the phrase 'less is more' comes to mind here

But as Vlad says try the demos and make up your own mind

I have Zb in my armoury of software. I wouldnt swap it for anything right now.

Jay

# 6 22-09-2007 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the opinions and great link jr.Who. I got a lot of what I was looking for and I think Zbrush will be my pick since it seems to be more popular and has that 3d texturing option which really impresses me. but I'll try both of them anyway.

Last edited by danotronXX; 22-09-2007 at 12:36 AM.