Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-04-2008 , 01:40 AM

photorealism...

Hi, havent been here for a good year now!!.. ive always found modelling quite easy to pick up new techniques, but ive always found texturing and lighting difficult. So i have been concentrating on learning lighting and texturing the last week, with an old model of a bike i made i have been trying to justify it better by making it as photorealistic as possible... im proud of it so far but i could tweek this thing forever and could really do with some 'fresh eyes' and crits on how i could make this real quality... thanks..

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-04-2008 , 02:02 AM
not bad - i like the model a lot and the overall scene. i think your textures could do with a bit of dirtying up - even if the bike was brand new, it still looks a little too clean. at the moment it looks a little like a toy bike. i would also try to tone down the reflectivity.

last i might change the color on the car - at the moment it looks a little too similar to the bike - and maybe adjust the camera angle a little - i just feel like the way the curb is interacting with the contour of the bike and the bike with the car, isn't doing much for your compostition. user added image

keep up the good work.

# 3 08-04-2008 , 04:03 PM
hi, thanks for the crits, i haven't had too long on this since but i have made a few adjustments, please keep the crits comming!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 08-04-2008 , 04:36 PM
ignoring the background in this image, would this be a better angle?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-04-2008 , 05:36 PM
hmmm. not sure about the new angle - the car looks a bit lost.

i don't think a bike would sit so upright and straight though. i would probably turn the handlebars and give the bike a bit of a lean - that would also turn the front wheel and maybe give a bit of contrast to the rest of the image. i still think the bike is looking a bit too clean.

sorry to go on. i like this a lot - i think the light is really good. user added image

# 6 09-04-2008 , 10:28 AM
Acid44
nice f40 in the bg :p

# 7 10-04-2008 , 08:52 AM
cheers acid, ill post u a close up one day!

thanks again arran.. ive done a lean test...havent dirtied the bike up yet but iv also adjusted the cam angle....more crits please!

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 10-04-2008 , 09:13 AM
Subscriber
the angle of the steer is consistent with the angle of lean, at this point is the other way around.
So try to lean it so that the steering wheel is making a circle with it.

I think the render could use some more realistic lights, at the moment it`s not convincing, try to start off with a physic light, and then add rims etc...

See what effect you can get out of it.

Cool work so far.

# 9 10-04-2008 , 09:52 AM
omg!...actually a bit embarressed to think a motorbike could go round a corner like that...serves me right for tryin to cook a pie at the same time!...any better?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 12-04-2008 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
cool, now add a stand so that the bike will not fall over,

You know that little metal bar that you push down so that the bike will stand, without having somebody stand next to it to hold it up user added image

Cool update, keep it going.

# 11 17-04-2008 , 02:48 AM
I like the lighting very much so far. I allways have problems with textures´n light myself. the first thing what came up to my mind was the size of the models in the environment. they seem to be toys - if it´s intended don´t mind my post.

after watching the scene for a while I noticed the scaling of your environment texture. the human brain reads pictures in a weird way sometimes. I am talking about the ground to be more precise. you maybe want to play a little with the scaling of the ground maps. if they´re too big everything else looks too small. also to get some contrast in the scenes scale, maybe add just a few things in the right size.

but if the items are truly toys - congrats to this fine rendering!

edit_________

what else is the cleaniness of all textures. realistic stuff is never clean. I´d add some irregularities and dirt to the maps.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by Falott; 17-04-2008 at 02:51 AM.
# 12 17-04-2008 , 01:54 PM
19 year Veteran
Haven't posted here in a while. Saw this one and had to comment. Very nice job lewisears! I do agree with Falott about the enviorment. It needs to be scaled down a little bit. Also, what time of day is it in the scene? The reflection from your HDRI leads me to believe it's mid day, but the main lighting suggests that it's evening.

Anyway, over all, fantastic job!

# 13 21-04-2008 , 07:04 AM
Great job! It looks so life like.

I am curious how you have this set up and the settings.. because I want to make a project involving toy like objects.. is it the depth of field that gives that effect here?