Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 61 08-01-2010 , 12:34 AM
Just for giggles a quick playblast to show where I could be going with this project...(smile)

user added image

There are no internal structures yet. I just wanted to see the doors open and get a sense of scale on the missile proxy.

I have a lot of work to do on the sequencing. The missile seems to extend to slowly. I have seen actual weapons bay doors open and close and they are very fast (and loud).

Aside from timing I think the missile proxy is looking good (size and shape). If I get ambitious I might try to animate something.

For now this is just a fun test. My first priority is to get it textured and composited into a scene.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-01-2010 at 09:24 PM.
# 62 09-01-2010 , 08:31 AM
Starting the UV layout process.

Here is the nose section uv layout and the uv test grid applied. The squares aft of the cockpit are a tad smaller but most of that will be covered by nacelles or behind the engines.

user added imageuser added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 63 09-01-2010 , 10:16 AM
The thin red line
Hi ctbram
That would be nice fly along and launch a rocket, like to see how your texture work out. There arnt any good texturing tutorial..........looking good dave

# 64 09-01-2010 , 11:14 AM
Moving along with the UV unwrapping.

The seam runs down the bottom. Since the basic paint scheme will be white and everything that will be painted across the seam lines up with poly edges it should not be hard to hide and there is lots of plating covering the seam as well.

To do:

- rear section
- engines
- greebling
- front nacelles
- rear gizmo panel (above the wings with the vents)
- laser canon and mounting pod

Basically lots of little bits and pieces to unwrap or make procedurals or basic shaders for.

user added imageuser added image

Last edited by ctbram; 09-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
# 65 09-01-2010 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
Your project is coming along very well!! You certainly are not wasting time at it, as it is coming together very quickly. I am enjoying watching this!! Nice work!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 66 10-01-2010 , 06:10 AM
Subscriber
Ct.
Being an avid BSG fan i noticed while i was watching season two tonight , that the canopy's on vipers slide forward to open and seal sliding back against the hull, when i gandered your model last night it appeared you have a hinge on the upper back of the canopy you have modeled. It didn't click with me then, but it did tonight watching the show with the wifey..
Just a thought bro.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 67 10-01-2010 , 07:07 AM
lol I did not notice that in my reference images. Not hard to correct though. Ty for pointing it out.

# 68 17-01-2010 , 05:18 AM
I have a question for you guys with more texturing experience then me. In this model I have a lot of tiny bits that are stuck into the main geometry.

Take the doohicky on the top of the nose, just in front of the canopy. Suppose I want the stripe to go over it. How should I go about that?

I thought maybe I could try 3d paint tool and paint some marks where the strip crosses over it and then use the marks as a guide in PS. But to start with every time I pick 3d paint tool I just get the freaking circle with an X through it saying I cannot paint on the object.

I could just do a planar projection and stick the thing on top of the nose uv layout but that seems like I'd get scolded at by the veteran modelers / texture painters.

I could give it its own texture space, unwrap it and then put a stripe through it and just get it to match by trial and error. This seems kinda crude and I have so many other parts that will have the same issue. All the panels on the tail, wing, and engine casing for instance.

I took the last couple days off because I have not been feeling well. But I am ready to get back to it. I must warn you all I am not a very good painter but I am doing my best. I seem to spend hours and then render and go back and erase all my work and start over, so I don't ever seem to make any forward motion.

Here is kinda where I am at. I know it sucks and I went crazy on distressing the panel lines and I plan to do the whole thing over again. But you can see the thing I want the stripe to go over and the other panels that are stuck into the geometry.

user added image

Last edited by ctbram; 17-01-2010 at 05:27 AM.
# 69 17-01-2010 , 10:45 AM
The thin red line
Hi ctbram
I think you have to reload file texture (UV) for painttool to work, dont know if it will help you though as its a querky thing. As for painting in say photoshop I rely on grunge brushes ex , lots of layer and masking to get the results I need............dave

# 70 17-01-2010 , 11:30 AM
The Nurb Herd
umm... you could select the faces and use those as a guide. i guess its whatever works for you. as long as it looks good it doesn't matter how you get there imo.

# 71 17-01-2010 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
ct, first off, glad your back and feeling better.

Tonight i'll hop on skype and see what i can do to help you out mate, when my son goes to bed.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 72 17-01-2010 , 09:11 PM
Subscriber
Ctbram, I feel I should try and contribute. I don't model and extrude from one piece, but that is my preference. But I agree think that if you select the faces of the parts you want to map differently, I think that it work. At least as a planar. I would have to see it to get a feel of how to map it. I would be more than happy to look at it and give you what I think I would do. Just wanted to offer to help!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 73 18-01-2010 , 06:59 AM
Thanks for the input I think I have a method sorted out.

Here is the beginnings of the nose and right nacelle.

I have redone the nose and nacelle paint and panel line layers and added a small bump to the panel lines.

I will finish the paint and panel line layers on the whole model then come back and add diffuse panel colors, grim, and distress layers. I went overboard with the grim on the previous version, plus the texture map was to small. I bumped the size up to 4k.

user added image

# 74 18-01-2010 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
It certainly looks like you have a handle on it now. Looks good!! Glad you worked it out!!

# 75 18-01-2010 , 01:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
With regard to your doohicky having a stripe running on it from other geo. Simply take the UV from the doohicky and overlay it over the UV set that contains the stripe you want to use, then scale it until it fits. The UV shell will still be pickable too.

Jay