Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 12-01-2010 , 03:59 PM
The Nurb Herd
i like the previous one with out the white added. I think it looks great.

In the 2nd picture, the image in the background is too low quality, I would lose it or find a better one.

# 47 12-01-2010 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
Hammer, thank you for your thoughts. I kind of liked it better the first way also. The picture was just to fill in the Alpha. It was a shot of extreme deep space by Hubble, no HDR images from space. Will figure something better for it. And I do appreciate you looking at it.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 48 13-01-2010 , 09:36 PM
Lifetime Member
You could paint yourself a nice background using paint effects? Here's one I quickly did as an example.

I think you can go up to 2k image size.

Jacques

Attached Thumbnails

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 49 14-01-2010 , 02:34 AM
Subscriber
Halfloaf, many thanks for the Pic!! I will save it and keep it. I had found a tutorial of making a starfield in Photoshop, but like the Pic you have posted and will look at it and how it looks. Again, thanks!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 50 14-01-2010 , 01:39 PM
Lifetime Member
It's really easy to do it in Paint Effects in Maya. Pick a brush and paint away! Same with the dust clouds. That image took all of 1 minute!

I think it will be much easier than Photoshop.

Good luck!

Jacques

# 51 15-01-2010 , 04:13 AM
Subscriber
I thought I would post an update. I have worked on the lighting. I know that legendofzombi thought it was spot on, but wanted to give this a go. I had hesitated about trying it as he thought it was so good. I hope that you all think the lighting suites the scene better.

I have some more things of interest to add to the far wall. I hope to have that soon, as I am working on it now.

Halfloaf I have used the picture that you sent. I think it looks good and will keep it from now, at least till I make one. That's for the confindence I can do it!!

I hope that all are having a good day, and that smiles are aplenty!!

Here is a link to original render (1200X900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...on14update.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 52 15-01-2010 , 05:14 AM
The backdrop that halfloaf created looks really great...but in your scene, it looks flat and lacks depth. I almost looks like a wall with a picture of space on it rather than a door looking out into space.

The sad part is I have absolutely no idea how to improve that. Maybe try taking the blur out of the backdrop. If it's a plane with the image loaded into the color field, then there is a filter selection near the filename textbox. If you turn the filter off, it should make the image crisp. Not sure that will do the trick though. I'll google some space images and see if I can come up with anything else that might help.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 53 15-01-2010 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
I believe its the nebular gas that is causing it to look flat,
One of my hobbies is astronomy and sadly it is hard to imitate nature when it comes to gas clouds in space, they almost always look flat unless someone takes the time to actually model one and texture it , or replicate it with dynamics.
Perhaps making a simple star field woudl serve this image better.

I do like the render tom, My personal preference is for the whiter settings in the shader / texture, which ever you adjusted, but the masses appear to like the darker better, so By all means continue as is..
Aside it doesn't detract from your work at all by any means, so no fear there mate.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 54 15-01-2010 , 11:58 AM
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by legendofzombi
I believe its the nebular gas that is causing it to look flat,
One of my hobbies is astronomy and sadly it is hard to imitate nature when it comes to gas clouds in space, they almost always look flat unless someone takes the time to actually model one and texture it , or replicate it with dynamics.
Perhaps making a simple star field woudl serve this image better.

I do like the render tom, My personal preference is for the whiter settings in the shader / texture, which ever you adjusted, but the masses appear to like the darker better, so By all means continue as is..
Aside it doesn't detract from your work at all by any means, so no fear there mate.

G-man

Agreed on the gas cloud G-Man. The image I posted was also waaay too low resolution. If you look at the original Star Wars movies you'll notice very little stars on the background plates. You need something sharper and with less stars. Have you considered wrapping your scene in a star field box of particles?

I think an image will still work, you just need to work on light bleed and getting the star numbers right as well as the sharpness of the image. Get a still frame from Star Wars and use that as reference.

Jacques

# 55 15-01-2010 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
Good morning everyone!! I had seen your replies earlier and got started on making it better. I honestly was not to the point yet I had given the picture much priority. I had been working on other things. But it plays an important part in the scene and I should have been more aware of it. Perfecto gave me a starting point when he said it looked like a wall. Well it was just put behind the render in Photoshop. I have put a half sphere in the scene with the picture on it. Now the picture is in the render itself, and hope it is more convincing. I am not sure if this will be the final picture, probably not, but wanted to see if this is more what you had in mind. I had done this quickly and will refine it more also. Tried to find a picture with more interest also.

I do appreciate your comments and thoughts on the background. Let me know what you think.

Hope for you all a good day, and time with Maya!! ;-)

Link to Render:

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...Background.png

# 56 16-01-2010 , 08:41 AM
The thin red line
Hi Tom
Looking good, no comments as you have anought guys helping you.............dave

# 57 16-01-2010 , 11:31 AM
The Nurb Herd
do you think there would be stripy tape near the exit to space?

i like the bg, the paint effects are much better.

# 58 16-01-2010 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
Morning Guys,

Got woke up by an earthquake. Nice way to wake up!! ;-)

Dave, thank you very much for looking at my project. I am trying very hard. But that is only because I love it so!! Yes, I have people that are kind and helping me.

Hammer, I am rendering now a updated version now. Our minds must have thought alike. I had intended on putting a light force field around the entrance to the landing bay. I had added it, as my thoughts were like yours and that a distinguishing line between the dark of the landing bay and the dark of space would be of a help.

I should have an update soon, I hope. But now it is 4:30am and I need my coffee and smokes to become human.

Have a very good day guys!!!

# 59 16-01-2010 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
Well, I have worked on the background some more and added a different picture. I suppose if I knew how, but more importantly a desire to learn how, to do dynamics for a star field it would help. But honestly, I have no desirte to learn it. I just do this to entertain myself and take up time. So learning things to improve my portfolio is certainly something I have no need for. As dynamics don't come up in anything I model really.

I have taken a little more time with this update, and think I kind of like it for now, but still have some modeling to do and I will spend more time on it soon.

Hammer, I am very glad you suggested the yellow and black stripes. I proably would not have thought of that! I had stopped the render I was doing and added them. Nice touch! Thanks!!!

Also, my girlfriend saw the information pads I have by the sliding doors in the bay and said they looked 'Hokey', a very old term for looks cheap. I will work on that and maybe make a hand recognition type pad. Will work to make it right!!

If anyone is curious. I had found a nice .jpg from the Hubble Telescope and it was larger than 2000 X 2000. I took that in HDR Shop and under IMAGE I select EFFECTS and at the bottom is DXC9000 Curve. Don't have a clue how it works. But in a tutorial I had done I learned of it. Won't make a true HDR, but it will certainly improve the .jpg very much in color depth and then you can save it as a HDR, I use a floating point .tif.

Once again, I do appreciate your thoughts!!

Original Render Link (1200 X 900):

https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...16thUpdate.png

Attached Thumbnails

# 60 16-01-2010 , 08:09 PM
The thin red line
Hi again Tom
The scene is looking a little dark may be some landing lights on the floor (not to bright), lights on the floor leading to the exits (differant color?). Some white markings on the floor for storage with markings on the wall some thing like (section 138 storage 1A)............dave

Last edited by daverave; 16-01-2010 at 08:43 PM.