Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-03-2010 , 06:53 AM

Mirroring Question

Check this pic out

user added image

I am trying to model a shield.

I am trying to cut the model in half in the middle and make like a gap in the middle describe in the picture any idea how to do so?

I tried Mirror cut but it didn't work, it made my model looked weird.

# 2 24-03-2010 , 04:26 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Sorry, but you're going to have to explain this a bit better, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 24-03-2010 , 06:58 PM
Lifetime Member
If i understand you right you want two halfs with a space inbetween so you can join then with a straight horizontal extrude or elongated cube.

1 change to face select and delete half the model.

2 hit insert on the keyboard and move the pivot point of move tool away from the remaining mesh half the distance you want your gap to be and hit insert again to complete the pivot move.

3 mirror in the x or -x depending on which half you saved.

4 select both halves and combine.

5 center pivot and then either extrude one side to the other or add the cube as required.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 24-03-2010 , 10:52 PM
thanks for the reply, thats whats what im talking about.

anyways the insert thing didnt work out for me but i did cut it in half. tried to extrude it in face mode but didnt work for some reason?

oh and also when i copied the half, how do i make it go on the other side mirrored, i tried but didnt work it turned out ugly and stuff

user added image