Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-02-2003 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber

Laptops and Maya...Bad Idea?

Can someone give me an example of a decent laptop to run maya. My home system will do most of the work but i need something mobile as well. Anyone running it on a laptop?? Perhaps tell me what speed RAM graphics card... all of that please.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 2 19-02-2003 , 12:39 AM
Kevin
undseth runs on a lappy and has good success. I cant get on with them at all..

Maybe when he sees this post he will put up his details user added image

BUT get a smuch ram as possible and not a onboard gfx card

# 3 19-02-2003 , 01:47 AM
Subscriber
I'm quite comfortable (I don't know what I'm missing), but I do experience a sluggishness with developed projects. My graphics card is only 8mb big.

My laptop; "Old" Dell Inspiron 5000, PIII 600Mhz, 8mb vram, 384mb sdram ecc (512 mb max)

Anyhow, nowadays, you get better laptops with 1 gb ram and 64 mb graphics card. You better check if the card in question is good for maya.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 4 19-02-2003 , 04:25 AM
Subscriber
I just checked with one retailer, they say that ATI isnt a good idea for maya and most of the laptops I've seen are running ATI

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 19-02-2003 , 04:36 AM
I run Maya on my Powerbook Titanium without any major problems (occasional OpenGL glitches). It's got an 800 MHz G4, 1 GB ram, and a 32 MB ATI Radeon 7500 Mobility. It's not going to break any rendering speed records, but working in it is just fine.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 21-02-2003 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
Hey, I am just wondering why ATI is not a good idea for Maya... i keep hearing this, but i really dont know why.. because I was always told that ATI always had that cutting edge in the digital arts department over all the other vga cards. Is this false? Thnx.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 7 23-02-2003 , 02:06 PM
ATI is in the top range when it comes to performance but they have driver/stability problems. Some programs/games won't run properly because of this and that's why people feel that Nvidia for example is better suited. The drivers are getting better though...

# 8 24-02-2003 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
thanks basura3d user added image

# 9 25-02-2003 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
I run on an VPR Matrix with a 1.8 ghz processor 512 RAM and a midrange graphics card. It hardly gives me problems however I find myself running my lappy out of virtual memory after a few hours of working with Maya and have to restart it. And (at least in my case) dynamic effects, such as the explosion tutorial on the AW site) will slow the system to a crawl when trying to run it with hardware texturing enabled.

I agree with everyone else that a laptop is okay to run Maya on.

P.S. I'm just so excited about this I have to tell everyone here. My friend has access to the High Performance Computing Center here at Texas Tech. If I remember correctly they have an SGI 2000 series server there just begging to be used by anyone. what makes it so appealing is that apparently they have Maya on it. He's talked to some people and their getting me sponsored so that I can have unlimited access to the supercomputer. Plus my friend has been doing CG work for about 4 years now and has offered to help me develope my modeling/animation skills. I'm so excited! user added image

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 10 25-02-2003 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
Ah thats great news Gatekeeper! Awesome! A super computer hey? If you hook up your lappy to it, you can do some massive renders in minutes user added image. I dont know if they would allow that though user added image. Alright, hope its a great learning experience for ya, share your adventures with us user added image. "Adventures of gatekeeper".

# 11 25-02-2003 , 04:28 AM
Subscriber
lol sure thing )v(. I don't know about hooking up the laptop to the Supercomputer. I use Windows XP and I believe the SuperComp is IRIX or something like that. So compatibility might be an issue but I do know that it has a CD drive and I have a burner. ::Laughs insanley::

~GateKeeper
Not really certified not really new!
# 12 28-02-2003 , 03:09 PM
Subscriber
Ok, i got a toshiba satalite pro w/ 2.2 ghz P4 GeForce 4 mmx 60 gig HD and maxed out the ddr ram to 1 gig, running xp pro. Runs my freinds version of maya 4.0 well, i have 4.5 w/ hardware dongle coming in the mail, cant wait to try it out.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 13 04-03-2003 , 04:07 AM
Subscriber
This laptop and maya.... let me tell you, i cant even hope to keep up with it yet... GREAT SYSTEM!!!! Thanks for al the help on making my dicision folks. SM RULES!

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 14 04-03-2003 , 05:20 AM
i've got a Fujitsu-Siemens P4 2.56 256ram radeon9000 40 gig laptop and maya is running pretty good even when i punch up the geometry a little bit it is still reasonable....
but ram man get as much as possible