Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-03-2003 , 09:02 AM

Graphics Cards??

what is the ultimate graphics card for 3d rendering? or, does it make any differens at all?

i've got a Hercules ATI radeon 9700pro

fast ram or lots of ram?

i've a pretty slow 512 ddr

cpu: AMD or Intel?

i've got intel P4 2.4

give me som tips

tnx.

# 2 26-03-2003 , 09:17 AM
Kevin
well Im sad to say that my gfx card is probably the worst on the whole board (geforce2 lol)

but I know theres a few guys who know alot more about them then me, hang up, ill look for a few threads

but one thing that is so important is ram!!! and tons of it:

1 gig and if you can afford it then get yourself a dual board! maya LOVES duals

# 3 26-03-2003 , 09:21 AM
Kevin
hmmm done a search on gfx cards and theres quite a lot, seems also to bhe a glitch in the radion 9700...maybe due to drivers but be carefull all the same.

I once purchased a brand new matrox 400 dual that cost me a fortune!! 2 months later I found it at the computer fair for £30!!

so I am very carefull about gfx cards now.... Plus I have seen a pc with a big beefy card in and to be honest from what I see the diference in cost is not worth it.. but others would think it is

# 4 26-03-2003 , 09:34 AM
well, im disepointed of my 3dfx card, (its tru i do got som buggs inn maya, they are only minor) it was the most ekspensiv on the market when i bought it, when i look back at it i wish i hadd put some more money on ram, and maybe a dual

# 5 26-03-2003 , 10:08 AM
Kevin
yep sounds like the same as what I done mate user added image

oh well - i guess we learn by our mistakes

# 6 26-03-2003 , 11:27 AM

Re: Graphics Cards??

Originally posted by Epiphone
what is the ultimate graphics card for 3d rendering? or, does it make any differens at all?

The graphics card doesn't make any difference in speed or quality when talking about normal software rendering. The CPU takes care of that. Only exception with Maya is some of the particle types which are rendered using hardware render buffer (= your gfx card).

The gfx card does however affect how fast and with what quality things are drawn on the screen while working with Maya.

Originally posted by Epiphone
i've got a Hercules ATI radeon 9700pro
fast ram or lots of ram?
i've a pretty slow 512 ddr
cpu: AMD or Intel?
i've got intel P4 2.4
give me som tips
tnx.

A good 3D workstation is a combination of everything. It all depends on how big projects are you working with, resolution and amount of textures you're using, how long animations are you rendering and in what resolution and bunch of other variables.

As you stated in another thread that you're new to 3d-world I think you're ok with your current machine. As you learn things your hunger will grow and you will also learn what parts of your computer needs upgrading... Anyway, I would concentrate on learning how to use the software first... "Don't try to run before you can walk user added image"

Just my €0.02.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!

Last edited by kbrown; 26-03-2003 at 11:29 AM.
# 7 26-03-2003 , 02:26 PM
Subscriber
I had a Radeon 9700, then A Ti4600,,, know jumped down to a Radeon 7500,,, i had glitches at first... but after i loaded my system up Catalyist Drivers... grrrr... well,, it was a meow actually.. no probs... btw,, the Rendering works on the CPU... and Ram... just make sure you have plenty of Ram and a good CPU.. you will be fine... and a good graphics card.. not too highend or too low like kev's ultrafast GF2... LOL.... Plenty of RAM + Grrrring CPU = enjoyable Maya experience