Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-04-2005 , 01:08 PM

grid on image plane

I have a problem with showing the grid on top of the imageplane in front and side view. Even though I have set the center z attribute to -50 in the front view the grid is displayed behind the image plane. Can anybody please tell me why?

# 2 09-04-2005 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
not sure how your world space is set up but try 50 and see what you get. There is also a small chance that your book mark was used to set it to back even though it says front.

# 3 09-04-2005 , 03:19 PM
Thanx for your kind reply. Your solution didn't do it though. I would be glad for further suggestions...

# 4 09-04-2005 , 03:45 PM
Subscriber
maybe a screen cap of the front, side, and perspetive view ports open with the problem.

There might be a chance its a video driver issue.

# 5 09-04-2005 , 03:53 PM
So what can I do? I'm using a Radeon 9600 Pro card.

# 6 09-04-2005 , 04:11 PM
Subscriber
Look very closely, do the major axis lines still run across, but no others? If so all you should have to do is turn down the image plane's alpha gain. That should allow the grid to show.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 7 09-04-2005 , 04:27 PM
thanx for your reply. Although my main grid lines doesn't show i tried to do as you wrote, turning down the alpha gain, but it didn't help. Any further suggestions?

# 8 09-04-2005 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
What have you tried so far and can you post a capture of problem, possibly with the image plane attributes?

# 9 09-04-2005 , 05:42 PM
These are my seetings for the image plane. I've turned down the alpha gain, moved the image plane back to -15 in z-dir...I guess thats it...thanx for helping...

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 10-04-2005 , 07:50 AM
Subscriber
First thing I'd do is move the referrence image from the Camera and onto a geometry plane. Much more flexibility, it's leaner/faster and it instantly solves your problem. You can put them on layers and control their behaviour as well. Make them non-clickable etc

Secondly Maya and .jpg images doesn't work so good. When using referrence I always use .tga

When working with .tga you can save them as 32bit alpha channel images yeah. Maya works like this: White is opaque and black is transparent. You must know this for the masking (I always forget to Invert them hah)

Let's say your ref image is: 600px wide and 400px height, create a polygon plane with the dimensions 6.0, 4.0, load your referrence image onto a material and assign the material to this plane.

If none of this made any sense whatsoever. There's a free video tutorial that explains all of this indepth:
https://www.mtmckinley.net/

Click Tutorials -> Modelling and look for Image plane setup.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 11 10-04-2005 , 10:00 AM
Subscriber
btw,, great ref.. personal ref shots or off the web some where ?
if personal witch I think they are.. know what size the lens was at the time of the shot ?

# 12 13-04-2005 , 04:58 PM
Thank you for all help.
REgarding the refs, they are from the Trinity Character modeling video. I'm familiar with the setup of image planes the way you describe and as you say it solve my problem. The only hatch is that i can't turn them of in the perspective view only, but have to turn them of in all views simultaneously. But it should be possible to show the grid over refs that are imported through the view
->imageplane menu item.

# 13 13-04-2005 , 05:19 PM
Subscriber
Do have access to another computer with Maya? If so, try the image plane method as discussed, adjut alpha if necessary... I'm starting to lean toward Pony's thought that it could be video card issue, perhaps an overlay problem. If that is the case the Alphyflyte's method may be your only option. As for turning them on/off in persp, if you move the planes far enough out you should be able to get an unobstructed view. Moving them back won't affect the appearent size in the ortho view.