Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 04-05-2005 , 08:44 AM

cape trail effect

i have a character that jumps off of a roof, and i'm trying to animate a cape that realistically flows behind him. does anyone have any ideas how to make it? is there something i can download that simulates that kind of flowing cloth movement, that i can attach to the character? or should i try to keyframe by eye until it looks okay?

i'm open to any ideas if you have any. thanks.

# 2 04-05-2005 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Well, I have really no expertise in this, but if you have 6.5 unlimited then you might be able to use the actual cloth thing.

# 3 05-05-2005 , 09:06 AM
i have plain old 6 - i've done searches for cloth but i assume cloth is only in unlimited. i see collisions are another possibilty though - i think i'll try to give a poly plane some joints and play with it.

# 4 05-05-2005 , 10:14 AM
Yes Maya cloth would likely be the easiest way to go, (i've never used it so i'm guessing) But i know you can get similar effects using soft bodies and dynamics. I have the maya learning DVD's, and one tutorial shows you how to make a curtain wrinkling and blowing in the wind. I haven't gone through the tutorial yet, but my point is you very likely can do it if you work with soft bodies.

Good Luck

David

# 5 05-05-2005 , 03:22 PM
Subscriber

Last edited by alienscience; 05-05-2005 at 04:44 PM.