Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-11-2005 , 07:57 PM

mirroring a map

I am so Furusttrated! I modeled half an image and uv mapped that inmage, like in Michael Mckinleys book. The thing is when I mirror that image it won't mirror that maps properly. I included an image so you can see what I mean. Any help so I don't do this :headbang: anymore would be most appreciated

Sorry I didnt mean to add so many threads, my computer went weird.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by PhantomTiger; 04-11-2005 at 08:03 PM.
# 2 04-11-2005 , 09:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
check your object's normals to make sure half your model's surface direction isn't reversed.

# 3 04-11-2005 , 09:59 PM
i have, several times. Thats why I can't figure it out, I've also tried deleating history too.

# 4 05-11-2005 , 01:41 AM
Happened to me a couple of times -- if you do this fix you'll need to resmooth

Select all -- edit polygons -- normals -- set to face (I use the hotbox, I THINK its exactly the same as the menu.)

Then resmooth to desire. (Make sure both halves are combined and merge-verticed together)

# 5 07-11-2005 , 07:15 PM
Is there a way to fix it not using smooth. I'm trying to keep it low polygon, that way also makes some distortions I don't want. If I reverse the normals on the one half, it solves the surface problem, but makes a really bad seam. Is there a way to fix that using duplicate and not mirror, if I tried that how do I mirror the map.