Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 03-11-2006 , 11:40 PM

Image Plane size question

Hey guys I've got a question about 2D image planes in maya. I have 3 images (one for each orthographic view) and I want to base parts of my model on these. However when I try to import images, they are not all on the same scale. For example, if I make a shape that fits perfectly with the image on the top view, it will be tiny compared to the side view, etc. All I need to do is make sure the images are all the same scale. Thank you for your help.

# 2 03-11-2006 , 11:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
you need to make sure your images are all the same scale first. At least, it makes it easier.

Then, if your image is, for example a 300x500 pixel image or something, you can make a plane that is 3x5 and it'll fit the image's resolution when you map it to the plane as a texture.

# 3 04-11-2006 , 03:11 AM
Thanks that worked great! also it was helpful to turn on partial transparency to the image textures.