Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-01-2008 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber

is autodesk killing maya

again the old question.., but im mad as hell and i just cant take any more. i lost work because i cant use V Ray.., and why cant i.., because i cant use Max..,

V Ray has become very important in the world of architecture and render.., SSSOOOOO.., why hasnt auto desk made it available for maya.., ill tell you.., because one day in the future.., maya will be fused with Max and auto desk will be telling us 'it makes sense' ' we are doing you a favor..., why bother with two apps.., doesnt it make sense to learn just one'.., blah blah

(I hope there is no V ray for maya or i am looking pretty stupid.., again!!)

there are features for Max and not for maya.., i dont see it the other way round.., they took mental ray and put it in Max.., what max lacks compared to maya will be taken up with its rendering ability soon (man im really stabbing in the dark here.., but its a gut feeling.) people are being forced to use it already in certain areas of 3D.., max used to be cheaper by volume lisence but now its more expensive?? ummm??? why is that??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 21-01-2008 , 06:00 PM
When I went to an autodesk product demo where they touched on Max Vs maya, they pretty much said that each product did the same but was pitched at different users, when I say users I mean customer bases, to which you seem to have found out as they said that Max was more Architectural Vis and that maya was more high end film and TV works (to give borard defintitions).

As for the merger, my point of view is that if they did merge them they would be a bit silly, I mean defining 2 products with different aims and different core architectures and then merging them?? Who would win out?? No one, and they would probably loose customers.

Also Maya aint got V ray, well Max aint got ncloth, or cmuscle or the functionality to mess with a lot of custom coding... All depends on what you want to do if your into characters and TD works then you probably aing gonna be bothered with Vray not being there.

So I dont think that Autodesk are killing Maya, if they were they would have done it a long timeago.

Also why did you loose work because you couldent use Vray? As long as it looks good I wouldnt have thought that the type of render was a problem?

Thers is this but its a link from about 3 years ago ,so you would have thought you might have heard something

https://www.chaosgroup.com/pr/20051122_01.html

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 21-01-2008 , 07:11 PM
Lifetime Member
There is a vray for Maya in beta testing right now and shouldn't be too long before it's availble.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 21-01-2008 , 08:42 PM
Jr.Who
Hopefully they merge them soon. It does sound weird, but companies have done it in the past (Adobe).

# 5 21-01-2008 , 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
Hopefully they merge them soon. It does sound weird, but companies have done it in the past (Adobe).

Why would you want them to merge???

# 6 21-01-2008 , 10:58 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Why would you want them to merge???

So that we wouldn't have any more Maya vs. Max topics. user added image

You know the reasons, Steve. I remember discussing this a while ago on the Future of 3D topic.

# 7 21-01-2008 , 11:07 PM

So that we wouldn't have any more Maya vs. Max topics. user added image

Haha Yeah!

Yeah I kinda remember now what you were saying, but as I think It would be a bad thing for both packages, a really bad thing, and I dont think that Autodesk will.

# 8 21-01-2008 , 11:37 PM
Jr.Who

Haha Yeah!

Yeah I kinda remember now what you were saying, but as I think It would be a bad thing for both packages, a really bad thing, and I dont think that Autodesk will.

Eventually something's going to happen, whether people like it or not. It's going to take a while for people to get used to it, but you see things like this all over.

# 9 22-01-2008 , 01:04 AM
Not really, Autodesk have taken over many CAD packages, designed for different user bases, and there still going strong and have done for many years.

Hey Maybe Microsoft and apple will join?????

As I said Max and Maya are two completly different packages, right from the core code and architecture up so unless ones dropped in favour of the other merging them would mean a new package rarther than a merger...

Last edited by gster123; 22-01-2008 at 01:09 AM.
# 10 22-01-2008 , 01:29 AM
Jr.Who

Not really, Autodesk have taken over many CAD packages, designed for different user bases, and there still going strong and have done for many years.

Hey Maybe Microsoft and apple will join?????

As I said Max and Maya are two completly different packages, right from the core code and architecture up so unless ones dropped in favour of the other merging them would mean a new package rarther than a merger...

A new package that has features both in Maya and Max. I guess it's sort of like a merged one.

Microsoft joining with Apple?! How can you speak of such blasphemy?! :mg:

# 11 22-01-2008 , 03:04 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Microsoft joining with Apple?! How can you speak of such blasphemy?! :mg:

I said the same thing when you said Merge Max and Maya. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 22-01-2008 , 03:51 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
autodesk may 'kill' maya but i think people wont let it die
they will continue to create plugins
maybe if autodesk let it go it wil become open sourse and peopel will constently improve it

# 13 22-01-2008 , 04:21 AM
Subscriber
'As I said Max and Maya are two completely different packages, right from the core code and architecture up so unless ones dropped in Cavour of the other merging them would mean a new package rather than a merger...' {quote, steve}

very good piont.., (Steve, every man of succinct info ((are you working for maya these days ?? how do you know so much about so much about maya)))

and i cant see a whole new package designed (my wildest imagination didnt come near that) and both 'max and maya' (sonds like a movie about love and marriage )dropped because the production houses might not take to well to that one.., maybe the hobbiest might think it fun.., but the real world would certainly not take kindly.., it would cost a fortune in refitting and training.., that will never happen.., it is more likely apple and MS will take their gloves of.., it business not religion.

# 14 22-01-2008 , 04:45 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Vray has been testing beta for Maya for AGES, but christ knows when it will happen.

As with software, render engines have their pros and cons as well. At the end of the day its down to the same thing - the skill of the user, its what you do with it.

Ive said this so many times in the past, Ive seen some real bad renders done with Mental Ray by people who want the latest gimmick for all its worth, and in a nutshell they havent a clue about the first thing on lighting with a basic 3 light set up=key, fill and back lights.

So mirek, you lost work because you cant use vray or max so use maya, with MR or basic lights. Architecture models have a distinct look about them, somewhere between photographic and studio (does that make sense) Im sure thats easy enough to reproduce

Personally I'd go with renderman these days though, it pretty much does everything - easieruser added image

As for a merger of software, I wouldnt worry, if it happens we cant stop it, and if so I dont think it will for a while yet, I feel they've just turned a corner with the 2008 releases of Maya and Max. Maya is incorporating Mudbox most likely in the next release and yet mudbox will still sell as a stand alone package too so its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other right now...

Cheers
Jay

# 15 22-01-2008 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
i agree mate and i dont see why i couldnt use mental ray or maya (which i know better) but the sub-contractor said 'you MUST know how to use V RAY' .., so i lost work?? .., i was disappointed.., i dont really want to learn another renderer.., but for money .., well we all sell ourselves in some way user added image

anyway.., its the guys definitive attitude toward V Ray.., and he is a pro.., that started this thread

i know what you mean about the architectural render user added image

sounds like the two apps are sharing the load., very nice user added image

cheers