Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-01-2008 , 08:36 PM

How to create a sky

I have always wanted to create a simply sky background when I render cities, beaches etc. Any idea of the simplest way to create a sky in Maya 6 or 8?

Thanks

# 2 22-01-2008 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
Hi, i found this way that was pretty simple.
If you create a sphere, delete the bottom half and scale it up so that it covers your scene. Apply a lambert shader and a ramp texture to it. Give the ramp 4 color divisions (I think i used dark blue, light blue, white and light blue from the top).

To get a cloud type effect you can add a fractal to the ramp colours. increase either the u or v to strech the fractal horizontally. there you go. Just play around with the settings.

This is something i did a while ago with this sky effect

Hope it helps

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 22-01-2008 , 09:05 PM
Subscriber
hi

the easiest way to create sky is to create a sphere, and delete the bottom have of it. now you should be left with just the top half, scale it so it covers your scene, all you have to do is just apply some sky like texture to it, and that should do it

# 4 18-02-2008 , 07:20 AM
how about using the visor?and import clouds?that'l be much simplieruser added image...(this only work for the clouds not for the sky)

# 5 22-04-2008 , 02:48 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to add a Sky in a Mental Ray Render i keep getting an error.
Tiff image is being used?

Many thanks,