Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 30-12-2012 , 12:22 PM

Controling bump map colors

Hey, as I understand bump map has two colors white and black mainly ?
I created bump map and I have some places where white is too intense.
user added image
You can see that at the fork end its too white/reflective.
And same goes for the tire, Its too much to create geometry so I did bump instead.
But white is too white and black is to black. (You can see in same rendered picture)

Third, I think the way I'm doing bump map is bad. Because of shader structure I created and what I want..
user added image

I want to imitate scratched surface, but at the same time its like cut color.
So I used layered shader. First is color (yellow) then bump that goes to blins "bump". And third is scratched parts, that goes to blins "transparency"

Last edited by lauris47; 30-12-2012 at 12:24 PM.
# 2 30-12-2012 , 02:25 PM
The thin red line
You can change the amount that the overal bump value by going into Bump2D node then change the bump depth or you can go into the file node, colour balance and play with the alpha gain or alpha offset.........dave

# 3 30-12-2012 , 02:38 PM
Dave, you always help me ;D
But I already played with settings few days, I think its not those. color balance doesn't affect bump, since I'm using alpha channel. and death, its already pretty small.
I wonder if there is a way to control bump colors independently ? :O

# 4 30-12-2012 , 04:07 PM
The thin red line
You might try putting a contrast node inbetween the file texture and your specular on the blin...........dave

# 5 30-12-2012 , 04:22 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
what people fail to reaise is that the actual color that causes bump is the grey values between the white and the black.

If you give the bump map a slight blur in PS it will soften it a little. Then adjust the bump value as needed. As the default is always 1 try dropping the values to some like .05

Jay

# 6 30-12-2012 , 10:00 PM
Been there done that. Actually I think bluring it out could help, I did it on previous images but for performance sake I didn't included separate bump to frame or tire texture.. So I'll try and let you know !
Though I finished ~ 80% with this bike, nice animation could be done, but rendering time would kill me.
Here it is: https://www.lubyslaurynas.com/bmxbike.php

what people fail to reaise is that the actual color that causes bump is the grey values between the white and the black.

If you give the bump map a slight blur in PS it will soften it a little. Then adjust the bump value as needed. As the default is always 1 try dropping the values to some like .05

Jay

# 7 30-12-2012 , 10:08 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

been there done that

In which case next time I wont pass on a fraction nearly 20 years of cg experience with my thoughts and insights and good will to help

good luck

J

# 8 30-12-2012 , 10:11 PM
:O sorry and thanks
20 years is big !!

In which case next time I wont pass on a fraction nearly 20 years of cg experience with my thoughts and insights and good will to help

good luck

J