Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-08-2004 , 09:40 AM

Noise

Hi there.
Well, Im actually moving from MAX to MAYA and in some cases I try to find some common tools or procedures to ease my learning.
In this case, Im trying to find in maya a kinda deformer like one called Noise in MAX. I cannot find a similar deformer in maya. I was searching but there are no deformers like that.

The question so could be: how can I add noise directly to a surface... I mean, randomize vertex position, to get a look, for example like a stone, or ground, or any irregular surface? something like noise modifier in 3DSMAX...

Thanks a lot in advance buddies.

...I just wanna learn...
# 2 23-08-2004 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
you could add a shader
then under bump map you could add noise or any another predefined shader
--
i wouldnt show up the in view window but would at rendering

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 3 23-08-2004 , 10:41 AM
that's fine, but actually Im talking about a way to deform the geometry, and not the surface appeareance... I need this for example, to delete history... and continue working with the mesh (already deformed)...

...I just wanna learn...
# 4 23-08-2004 , 03:09 PM
Doesn't exist within Maya that I've ever found. There is a script on highend3d.com called zRandP. I think there are several scripts that will do what you want.

# 5 23-08-2004 , 06:53 PM
You could make the geometry a soft body then apply a turbulence field to it. I use that to get random surface displacement quite often. then you delete the particles created by the softbody.

# 6 23-08-2004 , 07:03 PM
Here is the randomize Points script.

Attached Files
File Type: zip rndpoints.zip (11.8 KB, 278 views)