Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-04-2009 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber

Your thoughts on the leaked X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Some one will be fired thats for sure.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7978379.stm

I went over my mates last night as he needed to fix his PC and when I got there he was watching TV. So while I was talking to him I saw Wolverine on screen and asked if this was a new TV spot for the new film. To my shock he told me it was the full film. Covering my eyes and walking out the room I was really shocked that he had a copy of the film which looked that good. (I covered my eyes as I want to see it first on the big screen). Anyway he turned it off and we sorted out the PC. He then told me that the version he got was not finished and a lot of the SFX were animations from Maya. He then showed me some scenes and it looked so unreal it was funny.

Going home I looked on all the movies sites and there was no mention of the leak it self (apart from the link above) as I think they did not want to advise the fact you can get a copy of it. There was a lot of talk about how bad piracy has gotten and how bad Fox was as a company and they deserved it.

Now this sort of piracy I think is wrong - the film is not finished. Yes I have seen downloaded movies of the net, but nine times out of ten they are movies I have never hared about and would have never seen them if just for the rubbish state of the cinema in this country (uk, but I`m sure usa is not much better).

I`m a big fan of Friday the 13th (well the first few anyway) and I wanted to see the remake on val day this year (14th Feb) with my girlfriend. We checked 9 different cinemas to try and find a place that showed it and out of them 2 were showing it and one of them was at midnight only. This was very shocking to me as it was number one in USA box office but no where in the UK wanted to show it - why - Bloody BOLT. Now not dissing Bolt that much (enjoyed the film) but it taking up 4 screens in a cinema is a piss take (and no I don`t care about the bloody 3d and 2d versons of a film). But what really made me laught was the following week when they reported bolt was on top of the chart and Friday the 13th had a disappointing opening week here in the uk. Me and the girlfriend got to see the film on al day but we had to travel 14 miles to see it and the screen was packed. (and yes I did enjoy the remake)

Another example of how Hollywood is shooting itself in the foot is Disneys/Pixars "UP". May in USA Oct in the UK W.T.F. The same thing happened to RAt - as well. I owned the region 1 release of Rat the same week it came out over here, and had seen it 4 times from a friend who downloaded it in dvd quality - why because I could nort see it in the cinema (Saw it in the cinema 3 times in the end - as you cant beat the big screen). But yet they managed to do a world wide release for Wall-E - they have no excuse.

The other thing that really grinds my gears about all this is the piracy adds on the front of DVD`s - why are you putting them there - we bought the DVD - wrong target abundance fools. At least if you download it you don`t get that crappy ad. And why oh why region coding on film or games - if someone buys your shit why cant they play it - does not make any buniess sence.

I`m a big supporter of film. I go to the cinema about 2/3 times a week, and have over 5000 dvd and near 100 blue-rays and I dont believe X-Men Origins: Wolverine should have been posted up like that - thats wrong but I am starting to think these companies are stating to deserve some of these problems.

So I wonder what others think about this

Sorry

Rant over - waiting for the 29th to go see it on the big screen .....

# 2 04-04-2009 , 01:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah it sucks for sure that this has happened, I read over at CGchannel that the FBI are now involved in the situation.

As you say someone will get fired over it. Its probably some schmo in the studio who has been done for something and gotten real pissed and decided to do the dirty and get the film out there.

The viewing pleasure will be next to none as the film is bound to be in an unfinished state. But I think its pretty weak of anyone to watch it like this as well just to save a few bucks from going to the cinema (I know not everyone will) but you get my meaning. Hopefully people who do care for the film wont download it and wait until it arrives in May to watch it properly - I for one will wait!

Piracy is always going to be there no matter what you do. Its just the way the world works - in some cases its more extreme than others - this leak of wolverine being a prime example - regardless of whether 20th Cen. Fox is a bad company, what about the actors and crew who work hard to make these things for entertainment value for dudes and dudettes like us.

Another consideration is it doesnt bode well either for the likes of myself who work on cg based projects, we could now be open to scrutiny whilst working on such things and end up getting searched night after night to see if we are taking anything illegal. theres always one bastard ready to ruin it for the rest of us. I dont think I'd be up for the 'rubber gloved' strip search after a day in the saddle for sure LOL

Also just to finish on a lighter note - Revenge of the Sith was number on the DVD charts in Japan - 3 months before the films worldwide release according to the films producer Rick McAllum. So it shows that not even the like of George Lucas has the power to stop the Machine

cheers
Jay

# 3 04-04-2009 , 01:49 PM
I have the leacked copy :blush: :blush:

# 4 04-04-2009 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
and is it worth it really - just booked my tickets for a preveiw showing 2 weeks from now.

# 5 04-04-2009 , 03:50 PM

# 6 04-04-2009 , 04:06 PM
Subscriber
Nice to see it gets worse as it gets on - the part I saw was with the guns but why would anyone want to watch something looking like that all the way though is beyond me.

# 7 04-04-2009 , 04:24 PM
This is in W.I.P progress it's not finished ... it's from the workflow... someone get the screens outside the company.

The original movie ofc will not look like that user added image

# 8 04-04-2009 , 05:31 PM
I want to see the leaked copy just for the technical aspect of it.... I love seeing the 3D stuff from movies

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 9 05-04-2009 , 12:04 AM
EduSciVis-er
I agree with Joopson. I don't want to support piracy at all, and I think I'll probably go see it in theatres, but after that, I'm really interested to see the unfinished version. I like seeing the process and a friend told me that it was really interesting to see where they used CG; sometimes in unexpected places and in some places it was real stuff where you'd think there would be CG.

Anyway, I'd like to check it out for the learning experience, but again, I don't agree with piracy.

# 10 05-04-2009 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by ColdWave
I have the leacked copy :blush: :blush:

that's not really something to be proud of or announce publically...

joopson does have a point, but if there is a leaked unfinished version i'd rather see it AFTER seeing the completed film...

it really sucks though that someone would leak the film... seriously, that's just lame. why would you do that???

"oh look at me, i'm so cool, i leaked the film because that's what we all do these days, it's normal now, nothing wrong"

i always wonder what's going through people's heads when they say "oh i want to put the whole season of <tv-show> onto youtube"....

but i also wonder... will this make the film more popular? because everyone will see an unfinished version and will then want to see the finished version

after all... photoshop only became popular because it was pirated so much....

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 05-04-2009 at 01:41 AM.
# 11 05-04-2009 , 03:55 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah I agree, to post that you have the leaked copy in front of an open forum is kind of Brain dead, what if a member was a cop? Or admin decided to turn you in, you wouldn't be so big on annoucements then!

Wanting to see the material in an exposed and unfinished state is understandable, but from the look of the images posted in the link above, all you are going to see is lo rez previz models and animation, which to be honest isnt going to tell you the process of how something is done. You may as well wait for the dvd extras and Cinefex and all the websites to cover it once the film is released, you'll learn a lot more that way.

Jay

# 12 05-04-2009 , 09:57 PM
I can understand the wanting to see the movie before it comes out, especially if it's one you've been waiting for for ages, but ruining the wait by seeing a half made version seems like a waste of time,and people should learn a bit of patiences anyway.

Just think if you'd put a year or two out of your own life into working on a film only for a pirate version to come out and the scene you've just spent the past couple of months working on, and haven't even finished yet, isn't even in it!
Or looks crap as it's not made the final production stages yet!

Watching it after you've seen the proper version would be understandable, for whatever reason, be it to see the pre-vis or just out of curiosity, but they usually put that kind of stuff on the extras anyway and it'll be a better quality too so why bother.

When it comes to anything Marvel all that goes out the window, I've been a Marvel fan for a long time and I'll always give them the respect I think they deserve by paying my money to see it. Infact I'll do that with all films, even the crap ones as I wouldn't want it happening to something I worked on.
Treat others how you'd like to be treated.

# 13 05-04-2009 , 10:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
Didn't marvel sell the rights to most of their stuff? ...Except hulk and something else.

Also, yeah if you want to see how flicks are made, do some runnering! :p

# 14 05-04-2009 , 10:24 PM
H.H: Fair point,they do sell the rights, but someone still puts effort into making it so they deserve not to have their work nicked either, how good or crap it is doesn't come into it for me, or who is working under their brand, but I'm just biased as I love marvel so anything with their characters in it I want to do well and get a bit defensive about, it was Marvel comics that got me through my childhood, though they have had their fair share of crap movies over the years. Selling the rights to the wrong people at the wrong time I guess! My main point is that if you want to see something, pay for it, or do as you have and get off your arse and work at getting into the industry the right way.

# 15 05-04-2009 , 11:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I know thinking that an unfinished production copy of any film will give deep insight into the inner workings of the industry is a bit presumptuous to say the least, but it did pique my interest and curiosity.