Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-06-2009 , 02:16 PM
Subscriber

Super Villain Challenge: Silver Fury

Well here we go for my first simplymaya challenge! I call her the silver fury.

I'll have a writeup done by the end of the day.

Oh and the picture is done with a program called hero editor 2 I found online. My drawing skills aren't good enough to do a concept yet. But this will at least show what general theme and coloring I'm going to be shooting for when I start modeling/texturing. I hope this isn't agianst the rules of the challenge. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 2 17-06-2009 , 08:41 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Should be fine...

She looks more hero than villain, but I guess that's the Hero editor at work.

... boots look cool!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 18-06-2009 , 03:44 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Mayaniac after giving her some thought I decided to go for a nerdy bookworm type of girl who went kinda loopy and now just likes to blow things up. Not an Evil mastermind so she doesn't have to be super evil/demented looking.

I imagine if the heroes of the universe see here is less 'the Silver Fury noooooo!' and more 'aww its the Silver Fury again...and there goes half of downtown... they just finished rebuilding town hall too...'

# 4 18-06-2009 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber

and my writeup

for silver fury's backstory. It might be a bit long but I kind of got into it once the creative juices started flowing. If anything blame Dango77 for his impressive writeup! :p (runs and hides)

Sent: May 20, 2109 10:18 AM
To: CHallstead.mtechheadquarters.corp
Subj: RE: Information on Reed

Calvin,

Here is the information from Personnel on Reed to pass along to the authorities you requested. It’s everything we have on Silver Fury. God you think with a doctorate she could have picked a better villain name. Sheesh why do we get all the crackpots in our offices?

Name: Dr. Lara Svetlana Reed
A.K.A: Silver Fury
DOB: October 10, 2083 Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital, San Fernando Valley, California

Education:
Graduated top of class John McAtee High school, San Fernando Valley California 2099
Magna Cum Laude Berkley University with dual B.S. in Biology and Electrical Engineering 2103
Magna Cum Laude P.H.D Applied and Theoretical Cybernetic Sciences Dwayne-Foley
University, Purgatory Texas 2106

Notable Achievements: Asimov Research Prize - SLAVE series drone control cranial (DCR) implant
Heinlein Prize - For breakthrough theory of hardware/cyber ware interaction in
advanced exoskeletons

Current Project: Future Soldier (CANCELLED) - Future soldier was our bid for the U.N. Advanced Fighter program. Our bid used highly experimental nanite built cybernetics to enhance a soldiers strength, dexterity, and reaction time. This formidable soldier would then be equipped with our new T-44X line of power armor which took already existing (and bulky) armor and made significant improvements. Using implants similar to the SLAVE DCR the suit would interface with the wearer’s cranial implants making the suit more of a second skin than a suit of armor. The files containing the exact details are still classified level BLACK and needs the boards approval for release to the authorities. However several weeks ago we discovered that a conflict in the implant/suit interface would permanently and irrevocably damage a person’s psyche leading to varying degrees of psychosis. As this issue was not resolvable in time we pulled our bid for the Advanced Fighter Program.

Summary of mishap: Not content with the cancellation of our Future Soldier bid Dr. Reed underwent the conversion process herself. Unbeknownst to the entirety of our research staff Dr. Reed had been diagnosed with a rare degenerative disease that would prove fatal in just a few years. The cybernetics involved would effectively cure her of the disease but could only be fully activated by synching with the suit. Undergoing the process late at night and alone she injected the reconstructive nanites into herself then donned the T-44X power suit in order to complete the interface. The process was both a success and failure. The Nanites successfully enhanced her body and her new cybernetic components were able to successfully synchronize with the suit. It was also a failure in that almost immediately thereafter Dr. Reed became mentally imbalanced. Once a kind, gentle and all around lovely woman was transformed into a power hungry sociopath who now seems bent on destroying anything SHE hasn‘t designed. She has come to believe that anything she has not invented is now inferior and therefore should be blown up in a most spectacular fashion. We had been able to contain her for roughly a week to undo this self-inflicted injury. However she escaped and managed to grab a fairly significant amount of experimental weaponry as well as the T-44X power suit. For a more detailed description Monolith Technologies Mishap report 01042109-1, Monolith Technologies Mishap report 08042109-3, and Psych Review Reed, Lara S. have been attached for your approval.

Abilities/Powers:
From Type 1-X power suit: Enhanced agility, Enhanced Strength, increased resistance to
conventional weapons and attacks
From Cybernetic Upgrades: Lowlight Vision, Immunity to NBC agents, Super Human
reaction time
Also equipped with: Future Soldier Energy pistol, AEGIS Energy projection
Shield, Future Soldier Energy Projection blades, and SLAVE Type-4 drone control rig.

Also my staff and I will be out of office for the rest of the week while the building’s structural integrity is tested for the THIRD TIME THIS QUARTER. You really need to move those two idiots over in Division-13 to a place where they can’t interrupt the REAL work we’re doing here. Why don’t you just fire them?

Respectfully,

Dr. Elias Mulligan P.H.D
Monolith Technologies Cybernetic R&D (Division -10)
Director of Cybernetic Research
Purgatory, Texas Offices

-----Original Message-----
>>From: CHallstead.mtechheadquarters.corp
>>Sent: May 20, 2109 8:47 AM
>>To: EMulligan.mtechpurgtex.corp
>>Subj: Information on Reed

>>Elias,

>>Get me all the information we have on Reed NOW. I have been getting calls from every three letter
>> agency demanding any information we have. I want it by COB today. Make it happen!

>>Dr. Calvin L. Hallstead C.E.O
>>Monolith Technologies Corporate Headquarters
>>New York, New York

# 5 18-06-2009 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
i guess this is one smart person who didn't go bad on her own will?

nice presentation of your backstory as an email, it's almost as if it were a real email...

so.. which of those weapons is the ring floating around her left hand there?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 18-06-2009 , 12:59 PM
Loving the e-mail style intro, nice touch!

The only thing I'll point out is that you've nicked my characters name! "Dr Reed"....

If they are a relative or descended from mine I'll let you off...lol!

# 7 18-06-2009 , 01:38 PM
Subscriber
chiron - the floating thing is supposed to be an energy shield but the hero editor shields covered up half of the body so I used some sort of magic energy ring. I'm not sure exactly what the final shape is going to look like.

Dang77 - whoops! I didn't mean to grab up your villain name. We've been marathoning Scrubs during our off time and since I was making a woman villain I went with Reed from Dr. Eliott Reed. (hence why S.F. was born at Sacred Heart in San Fernando Valley). I was going to use a similar hairstyle used on the show for S.F. Maybe I should have went with Dr. Lara S. Jordan? It's all rough draft type stuff at the moment. user added image

# 8 18-06-2009 , 01:41 PM
lol, I did get the Scrubs reference actually, and was wondering if that was why you'd used "Reed", the reason I used it was the cheesy "Reed"/ controls Plants thing...lol! No problem mate!

# 9 20-06-2009 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
Here's my start on the model. Please be gentle as this will be my first attempt at organic/human modeling in quite some time. Like the Joan of Arc tutorial I'm modeling the base model first then adding in the armor. More to follow!

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 20-06-2009 , 10:08 PM
Good start go for it !

# 11 21-06-2009 , 03:33 AM
just remember your underlying muscles and basic anatomy it doesnt have to be perfect but because people always see humans in day to day life they know what looks right so just some things to think about good start though

# 12 21-06-2009 , 07:35 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the encouragement so far guys!

Started modeling the armor from the bottom up with the boots and shin/calfguards. Did some base texturing to start getting a feel for tweeking the color scheme and how its going to look. Nothing fancy. I'm leaving a few details for the texturing phase to add further detail. and as I get a clearer picture in my head I'll go back and model more details as I go. If I can keep this pace up I may be able to finish modeling her by next week and get ready for texturing/rigging.

One thing I love about this challenge is that the more I flesh her out in my head the less she looks like the first picture (to heroish) and more sinister. And I have a few ideas to round her out as a villain and maybe even a full scene if I have time (or if not I'll just finish it in the WIP section)

Attached Thumbnails

# 13 21-06-2009 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
those are some nice boots!

give her a head and hands and what more does she need? :p

..ok, maybe her weapons too...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 20-07-2009 , 10:17 PM
Subscriber
Hey All,

Its been awhile since I've been able to make a post on this. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this on time. Work has been slowing my progress on maya. user added image But here is the armor bits before I add on some of the bells and whistles and those pesky bits like a head and hands. I've been putting them off for too long now anyway.

Attached Thumbnails