Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 13-06-2007 , 04:54 AM

Co-ordinate issues in Maya

Hi,

I'm working on a character modeling tutorial. From the initial half model, I've "Special Duplicated" with an offset of -1 on the x axis to get an instance that is affected at the same time as the original half.

When I try and align the edge of each with the centre, I try doing it with both direct input in the channel box ("0" in the X translation) or by moving them to snap to the grid.

When I snap them to the centre, the value is not 0 (you can just about see that in the attacthed image). When I insert a value of "0" in the channel box, they are not exactly on centre. The move tool is set to world, so there's no problem there.

It doesn't seem to happen all the time; am I missing sometihing?

Also, more generally, when I select a vertex and look at its co-ordinates in the channel box, they are always 0,0,0. Is there anyway to have this display its absolute co-ordinates rather than relative to where it was created? If I could do that it would sort out the above, also it is generally good to be able to check exact space co-ordinates for aligning vertexes along an axis.

Sorry for the long post but for something so simple, it's hindering me.

cheers,

g

Last edited by gubar; 13-06-2007 at 05:57 AM.
# 2 13-06-2007 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
Could you post up the image again please? if you havnt already sorted this problem out yet ... user added image

Marlon J

# 3 17-06-2007 , 08:52 AM
Hello,

sorry about the delay in my response, I haven't been around for a while.

I sorted that issue - I think it was because I had been selecting the vertexes as a group, therefore when I was snapping (or when I was keying in "0" in the x plane) it was moving the group's centre to x, rather than each individual. Took me a while to clock onto this, I am more familiar with Lightwave, where each vertex would be moved to "0". So I slowly snapped them one by one - is there an alternative to this?

Perhaps you can help me with another question I've asked elsewhere, without a answer - in the channel box, is it possible to have a vertice's absolute, rather than relative co-ordinates displayed? I think this is useful in situations where you want to align disparate vertices - instead of selecting and snapping each one, you can just key in the absolute values. Again, I'm just more used to doing this in Lightwave.

Thanks,

g