Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-01-2011 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber

cannot use hq rendering?

I'm trying to create normal maps and have several tuts to follow, all basically tell me the same thing which I get but when I'm done baking they all say to select hq rendering from the rendering option menu. It won't let me check it. I need to have hq rendering on to see my normal map so I'm pretty much stuck here. I see the option box next to the hq rendering option and I've turned things on and off in there but it still won't let me check the box.

user added image

I'm thinking it might have something to do with my super crappy laptop and integrated graphics?

Ideas please.
Thank you.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 05-01-2011 , 12:59 AM
Lifetime Member
what grunt does your laptop have?? it should still select it...but it will freeze if you do.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 05-01-2011 , 03:57 AM
Administrator
It's definitely a hardware issue, laptops are not ideal for Maya and the integrated graphics card would not support high quality rendering in your case. However this is not a problem, because the only thing you get from choosing high quality rendering is a better approximation in the viewport of what things will look like in a render than you would at default which is useful for aiming lights but not essential as you can just render instead to see the mapuser added image So it has nothing to do with the final output of the normal map itself. To speed this up you can use the IPR for tests.

# 4 05-01-2011 , 02:14 PM
Subscriber

what grunt does your laptop have?? it should still select it...but it will freeze if you do.

cheers bullet

Grunt?

It's definitely a hardware issue, laptops are not ideal for Maya and the integrated graphics card would not support high quality rendering in your case. However this is not a problem, because the only thing you get from choosing high quality rendering is a better approximation in the viewport of what things will look like in a render than you would at default which is useful for aiming lights but not essential as you can just render instead to see the mapuser added image So it has nothing to do with the final output of the normal map itself. To speed this up you can use the IPR for tests.

You mean just render a scene with IPR to see the results?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 5 05-01-2011 , 06:49 PM
Administrator
Yes, or just hit the normal render button.

# 6 05-01-2011 , 07:42 PM
If you are using nvidia drivers be aware that nvidia deprecated support for HQ and VP2 rendering on all geforce cards. You will have to roll back to rev 158 of less to get the functionality back. I had to roll back to 157.21.

Nvidia says it was an accident but adds geforce cards are not supported for use with maya. I find it interesting that they break support for maya in the geforce line at the same time they announce a new batch of quadro cards. I smell marketing poo poo.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 05-01-2011 at 07:44 PM.
# 7 05-01-2011 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Well I doubt that's a problem because I have integrated graphics. Looking into a new laptop more powerful for 3d and can run some games on low settings. Looking at this one right now. Lots of people have told me ATI gfx cards have tons of 3d problems.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115860