Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-07-2003 , 08:54 AM

Is it possible to bake maps

I've rigged and mapped a character. However, when it deforms it deforms through the mapping coordinates. How do I bake the UVs into the model so this doesn't happen?

# 2 01-07-2003 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
the uvs are connected to your verts. they stretch accordingly. problems occur if you used textures that are projected. and of course any procedural and/or 3d-textures might not care where your uvs are. to prevent texture swimming you could duplicate your model and make it a texture reference for the deforming model. this way 3d procedurals stay in place even when your model deforms or moves.

# 3 01-07-2003 , 01:01 PM
Wow. I did not know you could do that.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 4 01-07-2003 , 02:40 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by drknow
Wow. I did not know you could do that.

well, there is a way for everything in maya - you just need to know how to do it user added image

if you want to ask the manual it would be in:

using maya->rendering->texturing menu->reference objects

that explains it in more detail than i could do it myself user added image