Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-05-2015 , 07:49 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Computer scientists in 3D

Hi everyone, long time no see.

I'm about to finish my fourth (and final) year of a computer science degree and I've been vaguely looking into 3D/visual effects/post-production companies to see if there are any kind of graduate opportunities and I've found several companies that seem to want computer science graduates specifically (and I remember reading many an article and interview that said they wished they had more computer scientists), but when ever it comes to applying, they always want a showreel.

My question is, what is the expectation for a computer science graduate here? What exactly would be on a comp sci show reel I have no idea; I could scrounge together an art one, but that's not the sort of position I'd be going for and I surely couldn't compete with the actual artists.

It seems like some companies do actually want software developers as well as technical roles, but it seems like you can't apply directly to them. It would makes sense if they only headhunt experienced people, but I wonder how you get into it in the first place.

Anyone have any experience or exposure to this sort of thing?

# 2 21-05-2015 , 02:31 AM
EduSciVis-er
I'm just guessing here, having no real experience in this particular area, but I would guess the purpose of a showreel would be to demonstrate your work being used by artists. So, if you were implementing some tool to help with a certain pipeline aspect, then show some work that has used the tool. That's what software companies tend to do anyway. Look Autodesk is showing some great shots from Jupiter Ascending. Did they make Jupiter Ascending? No, they made the software that contributed to its creation. That sort of thing. As a student this could be tricky, but I thought I would suggest that approach in case it's helpful.

# 3 21-05-2015 , 03:32 PM
Technical Director
Have you given any thought into taking a summer internship position?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.